Chapter 18: Pain

JARROD
I run into the front door of Mckenna's house "Sweetheart?" I call out and get no response in return. I quietly walk up the stairs, I know her bedroom is somewhere up here and I don't think it will be too hard to find. I hear a male's voice upstairs, I don't think it would be her brother because she clearly had said help. I walk further down the hall and easily find her bedroom door and peak inside. What awaits inside makes my blood boil, I immediately swing my arm into his face "Did you seriously check her fucking files to find out where she lives?" He chuckled, ignoring me "Oh my sweet dear, did you really think this man could help you? How pathetic" I watched as she blinked back tears "Come here, sweetheart" I whispered, she looked at me with her sad eyes and shook her head "She's not coming to you Jarrod, deal with it" it looked like she was trying to tell me something with her eyes but I couldn't work out exactly what it was. My eyes moved down to her lips as she mouthed the word 'gun' I tried to show no emotion so Richard wouldn't figure out that she had told me.

"Richard just go before I call the cops" I said with a sigh, I couldn't fight him back if he has a gun. What if he shoots her? I wouldn't be able to live with myself. "Just please don't touch her. Whatever you're here for just do it at my house. Take my money, break things I don't care just please leave Mckenna out of it." I was beginning to panic, had he hurt her emotionally or physically? I hope not but I wouldn't doubt on it. He was a cruel and sick man of a human being. "Face it Jarrod, you've become too attached to little Mack here" I groan, pinching the bridge of my nose "What does that have to do with anything?" I sighed, I wasn't going to admit that it was true because it was a fact I did become attached to Mckenna very quickly. "I'm not the only one who has noticed, you two are very fond of each other...too fond in fact" I sigh "This doesn't concern you. Just leave her alone for fuck sake" I say frustrated. "I know your little secret, break it off for real and I'll go." My eyes flickered to Mckenna as she slowly nodded her head to say yes tears were falling from her face, it pained me but it was the only way to keep her safe. "No I'm not doing that, what happens between us has nothing to do with you" it pained me to say this but I couldn't break her heart. "If you don't do it, I will seriously fuck her right now in front of you" I widened my eyes, did I hear him correctly?

"Jarrod.." Mckenna whispered shakily, I sighed in defeat "Okay Richard. You win..." he smirked "If I find out you have gone behind my back, I will tie you down and fuck her senseless. If I need to shoot, I will. Good day" I watched as he walked out of the house and disappeared into the darkness. Once I was sure he was gone, I made sure all of the doors were locked "Are you okay, sweetheart?" I asked nervously, pulling her into my lap as I brushed away her stray tears. Her arms quickly wrapped themselves around my neck "I'm gonna miss you" she whispered, making my heart break "You didn't think that was real, did you baby?" I asked with a small smile "But if you don't he's gonna...." I shook my head as I kissed her forehead "I won't let him, you'll be by my side 24/7. I'll protect you" Her grip around my neck tightened "But he has a gun. He said he will shoot anyone who gets in the way. Including you" I soothingly rubbed her back "Don't worry about me princess, okay? I won't leave your side unless you want me to" I sighed, was I being selfish by not staying away from Mckenna? "Jarrod as much as I want to be with you, this whole thing is just risky.." I gently cupped her face, sighing "You're right, I'm being selfish. I'm setting you free, baby.." I whispered, my voice cracking. "I'm sorry it has had to come to this.. Thank you for saving me and always putting me before yourself, I'm very grateful for everything you did for me" she whispered, kissing my cheek. "Just know that I'm always here for you. Goodbye sweetheart, I love you so much and I'm sorry I couldn't protect you" my heart was breaking "This isn't your fault, I love you more than you know. Please stay safe, Jarrod." I leaned forward to kiss her one last time, our lips connected slowly and gently it was a hesitant kiss for sure. I slowly pulled away, my thumb grazing her petite face before stroking her blonde locks "Please don't cry, b-baby." I turned around as I felt my throat go dry and my eyes going watery, I had to stay strong for Mckenna. I couldn't let her see me cry, it's just going to make her more upset. "..I'll see you around at school, sweetheart" I mumbled as I quietly left her house and got into my car, making my way home.

MCKENNA
I was miserable ever since he left my house last night, it was the right thing to do. I wish we could do the wrong thing but I couldn't let him lose his job over me, I'm not worth it. I looked like a mess, I was in sweatpants, a hoodie and had eye-bags under my red, puffy eyes along with unbrushed hair thrown up into a messy bun. I couldn't be bothered putting on makeup today, what was the point if I was feeling so unhappy?

"Mack, you look awful! Is everything okay?" I looked at Ruby "I'm fine" I lied, of course I wasn't fine. "You look as bad as Mr Sorenson does today! Must be a bad day for you both, huh?" I was shocked to hear this, Jarrod is always so strong and keeps school life and personal life seperate. "Yeah, I guess so." I muttered "Anyways we better head to class. Come on, sleepy head" she whispered, dragging me down the hallway.

He looked awful, like he was in so much pain. I felt so guilty and responsible for this.