Chapter 7: It's Okay Baby

MCKENNA
After having Julianna's birthday cake to end the night we were watching Happy Feet in the living room since she loved penguins so much. Everyone was cuddled up cozily on the couch and bundled in blankets. My eyes were struggling to stay open but I really didn't want to fall asleep and be trouble by having to spend the night.

"Come on sweetheart, you're spending the night" my eyes adjusted to the light as I was gently placed on a bed. "It's late and I didn't wanna wake you. Sorry I kind of did.." he chuckled as he awkwardly rubbed the back of his neck "It's okay" I yawned, rubbing my eyes. "Time to hop into the shower and get cleaned up" he smiled playfully, tapping my arm "Ughhhh" I groaned "I don't want too" I added on with a sigh "Please, it will make you feel better, Mckenna" I turned to look at him and nodded my head as he led me to the bathroom which was connected to the room and he explained how to use the shower taps and how to work the temperature which I was thankful for. I sleepily scrubbed my body and called out for Jarrod when I was done "Um.. Jarrod, I need something to wear.." I called out nervously "I'm not going to look, okay?" He called out as I nodded my head even though the door was still closed. He slowly stepped in with his hand covering his eyes while the other was stretched out holding a t-shirt and my underwear and bra that he had surprisingly gotten washed while I showered. "I've got a towel on, you can look so you don't fall over.." I said awkwardly and smiled shyly as he slowly removed his hand and placed the clothing next to the sink, giving me a quick glance before leaving and shutting the door on his way out. Once I was dressed I used the clean toothbrush that Jarrod had given me with the clothes. When I was done I slowly walked out into his bedroom "I'm all clean now" I said quietly to myself as I walked towards the bed "Cute shirt" he replied with a smirk which made me instantly blush "Stoppp ittttt" I said shyly, gently shoving his bare bicep. "You're so shyyyyy" he chuckled, mimicking me as I playfully poke my tongue out at him "You're a cheeky bugger" he grinned, holding himself above me. "Don't start something you can't finish" we both jumped in surprise from Jason at the door "You're so dead" Jarrod muttered as he strides his way over towards the door and down the hall. I scurried my way down the hall and poked my head inside what I was assuming is Jason's room.

"Why don't you mind your own business, Jason?"
"Look Jarrod, she's super sweet but you shouldn't have brought her here. You have a lot of authority over her, of course she won't say no"

"You just don't understand. I wanted her to mee–.. Mckenna?"

I nervously stuck my head in the gap by the door "I'm sorry.." my eyes darted between the two of them as they both sighed, Jarrod running his hand through his hair and Jason pinching the bridge of his nose. "You're right, I shouldn't have come here but I did and I'm sorry" I spoke clearly, which is completely new for me. I looked at Jarrod and he had a look of surprise on his face from my small outburst "It won't happen again.." I added. "Look kid, you just don't understand the big issue with all of this. It's nothing personal" Jason spoke, I shook my head gently "It is personal and I get that. I'm sorry, I won't stop by again. It's cool. Goodbye Jason" I anxiously bit my lip as I rushed back down the hall. Footsteps were quietly chasing me and I was lifted from the ground "And just where do you think you're going, young lady?" His hot breath whispered, tickling my ear which made me squirm in his arms "I'm going home....do all of your family feel that way about me being here?" He shook his head "Of course not" he spoke, his lip almost nibbling on my ear. "Jason's just stressed, that's all. I promise" I sighed "How can you be so sure?" I asked "From the way you make them all smile and laugh, you make them all feel comfortable about being themselves around you. They enjoyed your company today and so did I, Mckenna" my lips curved into a smile "I'm really glad to hear that. I love your family, they made me feel welcome and are so kind" he chuckled "That's good to hear, sweetheart. Now it's time to go to sleep" I nodded my head, yawning "I'll take the couch downstairs" I spoke quickly, making a run for it but I didn't get very far. I was picked up and gently thrown onto the bed "Nice try, sweetheart. But I'm taking the couch" I pouted, it isn't fair for me to keep taking his bed from him, especially when he hasn't been sleeping well lately. "But it's not fair of me to keep taking your bed from you and you haven't been sleeping well. You deserve a comfy bed and if you don't take it, I'm going home right now" he smirked, chuckling "The stubbornness quality, my favourite" he smiled, shaking his head. "I can't share the bed with you, sweetheart" I continued pouting "Why not?" He sat down beside me "It's not fair of me to do that. I can't abuse the authority I have over you" I shook my head "Of course not, you won't. I know you won't, I say yes because I wanted to see you to make sure you were okay and I wanted to meet your sister" he sighed, nodding his head. "This is difficult for me, Mckenna Grace" I gave him a confused look, he used my full first name. "But what's difficult?" I asked, gently placing a hand on his bare shoulder. He looked at me and ran a hand through his brown locks "A lot of things. It's late, you need to sleep." I looked at him and didn't want to upset him and agreed, I climbed onto the mattress and pulled the sheets up over my shoulders. He hesitantly laid down beside me and put a couple of pillows between us "Just incase, so you can have your own space" he whispered with a smile as he flicked off the light. "Goodnight, Jarrod" I whispered back "Goodnight, sweetheart" he smiled to me before I turned onto my stomach and fell asleep.

JARROD
I had woken up at about 4:30am from the bathroom light peeping into the gap to my bedroom. I turned to my right and noticed Mckenna wasn't in the bed. I yawned and stumbled out of bed and knocked on the bathroom door "Are you okay, sweetheart?" I asked gently "..No.." her answer made me worried and I slowly opened the door and noticed her kneeling in front of the toilet "I'm not feeling –" she spoke quickly before throwing up into the toilet bowl, I instantly started to feel bad. "You could have woken me up, sweetheart if you weren't feeling well" I said softly, gently rubbing her back and holding her hair behind her. "I feel too hot" she whined, pouting at me, "I can put the fan on in the bedroom for you" she shrugged her shoulders "I just want to take my shirt off I feel too hot" I tried not to smile at her claiming my shirt as her own. "I don't know, sweetheart" I spoke quickly, nervously rubbing the back of my neck. "Please, Jarrod" she pouted, I sighed giving in and nodded my head. She stared at me and finally lifted her arms up "Please.." she whispered. I chewed on my lip and sighed as I slowly lifted my shirt off from her and grabbed the hair tie from her wrist and tied it back to keep it out of her face. I tried my best to not look at her too much, she was my student at the end of the day but she meant so much more to me than that. "It's okay baby.." I whispered, soothingly rubbing her back "You're okay.." I sat with her as she continued throwing up "Shh, it's okay baby.. it's okay" I mumbled quietly.

A couple of hours passed as Mckenna continued vomiting every now and then. "I'll be back, sweetheart. I'm just going to get you some more water, okay?" She turned to me, gently nodding her head as I rushed down to the kitchen to refill the bottle of water I had given her earlier. I also grabbed an empty bowl and brought it upstairs with me. I sat the bowl on the bedside table and brought the bottle of water with me into the bathroom. I looked down to a teary eyed Mckenna "Can you please keep rubbing my back? It makes me feel better" She sniffled as I nodded my head "Of course, sweetheart" I placed the water on the ground beside her and rubbed her back for the remainder of the night.