Sneak Peek

And now, a sneak peek from the newest book in the "Eternal Sunshine" series, "Child of the Moon, Child of the Night"

~*~*~

Jacob froze. "You're..." he choked, "You're inviting Rebecca?"

"Yeah?" Renesmee shrugged. Originally, it had seemed like a good idea. She was rethinking that now.

"Why?"

"She's your sister. She should probably be at our wedding. We're inviting Rachel."

There was a sharp edge to his voice when he growled, "That's different."

Renesmee threw her arms up. "How?"

"Because Rachel knows about me. About us!" he nearly shouted. "Rebecca won't understand. Besides, weren't you the one who told me I'd never be able to see her again? I'd have to explain to her why I still look the exact same way I did eight years ago, and there's no way to do that unless I just show her, which you said would scare her to death!"

"Hey, I'm not saying it's gonna be easy!" she snapped, arms crossed over her chest as she stood to face him. "It's not gonna be easy to have Charlie or Renee here either, but we're inviting them. I really think you'll regret it someday if you don't invite her."

He sighed heavily, raking his fingers through his hair. "I don't know why I'm even worried about it. It's not like she'd actually come anyway."

Before Renesmee could reply, there was a knock at the door to the cottage, and Alice was standing before them. She looked between the two. "Am I interrupting something?"

"No, Auntie."

"Great, cause I have good news!" she squealed. "The first is that Emmett and I are each planning a wedding surprise for the two of you." Renesmee groaned but Alice ignored her and continued with her news. "And! Phil, Renee, Rebecca, Leah, Peter, Charlotte, and Nahuel are all coming to the wedding. I saw it!"

"Auntie! You can see our wedding?" Renesmee gasped with a grin.

"Just a little!" she admitted, though proud of herself all the same.

Jacob shook his head "Wait, wait, wait! You said Rebecca's coming? She's actually taking the time to leave her fabulous life in Hawaii to come here?"

"Yeah," Alice grinned, oblivious to or ignoring the growing tension the room. "And she'll bring her husband and their two little girls."

"You have nieces?" Renesmee cried, whirling back around to face him. "Why'd you never tell me?"

"Why would I? I've never met them. Shit, I didn't even know there were two!"

"You've... you've never met them?"

Jacob shook his head. "Billy and I used to get a couple pictures every year with a card that said, 'Hope all is well! We're going to try and come up for...' and then you'd just insert whichever holiday was closest. What a load of crap."

Renesmee didn't know what to say. "Jake, I'm sorry."

"Don't be," he scoffed. "She's probably planning on making it all up by coming to the wedding so we can be one big happy family."

Renesmee gently placed her hand against his cheek, showing him a memory of him laughing and hanging out with Rachel. Didn't he want the chance to have that with Rebecca too?

"No, I don't," he snapped, taking her hand away while his own began to shake. "I'm gonna go for a run. I'll be back later."

"Jake, wait..."

But he was gone.

~*~*~

And there you have it!  I hope you liked it and keep an eye out for "Child of the Moon, Child Of the Night".  Cheers, loves!