There is no us

It was the first of the last two days of rehearsals. Lindsey had forgotten his phone in the car and he went out to the parking lot to take it, but he stopped as soon as he opened the door to get outside. He was yelling at himself inside, screaming to look away, but his eyes were fixed on Stevie in Joe's car, saying goodbye, although they shared no words... He hated how happy she looked, he felt that she had finally got sick of him and fallen out of love with him along the way. He couldn't make up his mind, what made him angrier, the fact she was dating or that she was dating Joe Walsh.

Lindsey waited for her by the entrance to the building. He wasn't sure as to why and what was he going to say to her, but he did. Stevie was somewhere else as she got startled a little, when bumping into Lindsey.

"Hey!" She wanted to hug him, but he didn't allow it. "Okay... You're waiting for someone?"

"You." He simply said and without further ado, he grabbed her hand and took her inside. 

"First you don't let me greet you, then you say barely one word and now you've decided to hurt me too? What the fuck is wrong with you today?!"

Lindsey checked his watch, they had some time. He dragged her into a room, where nobody would interrupt them. There was a time when she loved that, they would sneak around and spend every last minute they had together in a much more pleasant way. This, she wasn't enjoying at all.

"Do you have to do this?" Lindsey threw his hands in the air, then let them fall down.

"What are you on about?"

"You're rubbing it in my face!"

"Lindsey, I don't..."

"What don't you understand?"

"What the hell I did wrong to make you this upset!"

"Out there, in the car. I saw you two, can't you keep it behind closed doors?"

She furrowed her eyebrows, her mouth slightly agape. "Are you actually stalking me?"

"I happened to be not far away from you."

"You're sick." Stevie tried to push past him and walk out the door, but he got the hold of her and she stopped. "Let me go. Please... I don't want to argue with you."

"Then don't make me mad!"

"You got mad because you saw me kiss the man I'm with, that is entirely your problem, Lindsey!" She freed her arm from his grasp and stepped back. "And weren't you the one, who told me you wanted me to be happy?"

"I did, but I always assumed you'd be happy with me."

"I don't fucking have you! All I get is bits and pieces! You belong to Kristen, you married her, you have children with her! There is not a single thing keeping us together, Lindsey! When are you going to realize that? When are you going to set me free and let me try to have a relationship? You love me, when you come into my room after everyone's already in theirs too, and you fuck me. Then you go back to your wife, you might no be in love with her, but she's still there, a warm body, someone to talk to or watch a movie, have dinner with, do normal things that people do. And what am I left with after you go? Once you're on the other side of the door, I go into the bathroom and get into the shower to wash you off me, then I go to sleep on the couch in a suite worth thousands for one night, so I wouldn't smell you, so I wouldn't have to think about you. You think I told you we were over whatever it was that we had, because I stopped loving you or that I stopped wanting you? No, Lindsey, I just simply couldn't take it anymore. So, please, stop obsessing about me being with Joe, let me be happy, let me at least have a piece of what could have been." Stevie was definitely left surprised that he didn't interrupt her once.