You have to

In the following days Stevie did absolutely nothing, which was so unlike her, but she needed to get her head straight. There weren't any doubts that she will go to Lindsey, but she needed some time for herself first. When Joe left, the house felt so big and lonely that she returned to her one bedroom apartment not too far away. She had her fears, she kept thinking what if she and Lindsey just cannot be a couple, that they won't be able to live together, that he's going to be annoying and jealous, which she knew he would be, both she told herself, she can't give up this easily. Relationships are hard work and she was prepared for it. The worst part was over, now it was time for the pair of them to finally grow up.

She wasn't sure if she should just show up at Lindsey's doorstep, if Kristen was still living there, how the kids would react. She was worried about everything, but there was no way out, however scary it might have seemed to her, she had to face her biggest fear in life; commit to Lindsey Buckingham again.

It was nearing noon, by then Stevie had showered, put on her clothes that she called the uniform, applied a little bit of make up and let her hair be naturally wavy. The car she had called, pulled up by the gates, it was time to go. 

The drive to Lindsey's house didn't take long and before she knew it, she had to ring the doorbell. She waited anxiously, shifted her weight from one hip to the other, when Lindsey came to let her in. 

"You've decided to finally show up?"

"Are we starting like this?"

"I'm just kidding." He pulled her in a hug, pressing a kiss to her head. 

"That's a nice hello."

"I haven't seen you for over a week, what else do you expect?" He shut the door and took her to the living room. 

"It's so quiet."

"Too quiet almost, don't you think?"

"Strangely." Stevie nodded, thinking how just days ago, this house was full of people. 

"Well, are you about to make me really happy?"

"I'm sorry I didn't call you for so long. I was really nervous coming here, you didn't contact me either..."

"I didn't want to push you, I promised I would give you time."

"And you kept your word and thank you, because I needed it."

"I hope you didn't get married during that time?"

"No, I broke up with Joe the next day."

He breathed a sigh of relief. "I almost thought you had changed your mind!" 

"I'm not going to lie, I put a lot of thought into it. I was having that battle between my brain and heart, you know. I don't think I had truly decided, but he woke up in the morning and we sat together in silence at first and it didn't feel as nice and calming, when it's you. I knew that there's only one man with whom I want to be and his name definitely isn't Joe."

"How did he take it?"

"Very well actually. I gave him back the engagement ring and said that it's just not right, we wouldn't be happy together, because I would always be somewhere else in my thoughts and in my heart."

"Did you have sex with him?"

"Seriously?" She looked at him pointedly and Lindsey shrug his shoulders.

"We had sex when you broke up with me."

"Is there anything else besides that that you think about?"

"Not much, I have to be honest."

"You're so bad, Lindsey."

"You mean, nothing happened at all?"

"I kissed him."

"And that's it?"

"Lindsey!"

"Okay!" He laughed, holding up his hands. "You're a free bird now, hmm?"

"Who are you? I don't know you!"

"Come sit here and you'll remember." He showed to his lap winking.

"You know, I'm beginning to think I've made a big mistake."

"I'm going to try and ease up on hitting on you."

"That was you hitting on me?"

"Did it work?"

"Am I sitting in your lap?"

"Fuck... I've lost it."

Stevie laughed, shaking her head. "No, you're just trying too hard for some reason." 

"I wanted to impress you, I thought you might start acting hard to get."

"I should be glad anyone still wants to take me!" 

"Bullshit, everyone wants to take you, but you're mine!" 

"You haven't asked me yet."

"Asked you what?"

"Well, first we have to get to know each other, you have to take me out on dates and make me fall in love with you, so we can be a couple."

"Right, done, done and done, especially the last part."

"Why are you so sure?"

"Come on, who could resist my charms?" 

"You're just a dirty old man, Lindsey."

"And you love every single piece of me."

"That I do." She nodded, pressing a lingering kiss to his lips. She watched him sigh, not looking too content. She frowned, already afraid to ask. "Is there something you'd like to tell me?"

"No, I don't want to tell you that, but..."

"You have to."

"I have to tell you, Steph." He nodded, already apologizing with his eyes.