Something entirely different

Stevie sat down, turning her body towards Lindsey, prepared to hear whatever it was she was about to. 

"I'm freaking out you're going to up and leave me again!"

"Lindsey, you better tell me or I will do just that before you get to open your mouth again."

"Kristen is leaving."

"How is that not supposed to make me happy?"

He shook his head slightly, making her know that wasn't all. "She's leaving and I don't know as to where. She told me she needs to rethink her life and understand what it is that she really wants to do."

"Yeah, I'm still not following."

"You're not just getting me, Stevie... I get full custody of the kids. And instead of one, you're going to get four more people invading your personal life. And I was so afraid to tell you that, because I know that you like being indipendant and this... Well, this doesn't leave you any other choice than to accept a whole family into your life. I felt like it would be too much for you and you won't want me anymore."

She spent the next few minutes in silence. Could she do that? Lindsey's kids weren't babies, they knew their mother and she would feel like an intruder, trying to take over from where Kristen left off. It was one thing coming over for their birthdays or Christmas, chatting for a bit and giving them gifts, being their mother would be something entirely different.

"Is that all?"

"What do you mean, is that all? It's not enough?" Lindsey laughed awkwardly.

"Linds, I thought you were going to tell me that you're not actually going through divorce or that... I don't know, Kristen's pregnant again! You know that I love your children."

"So, you mean... You would be okay with that?"

"I love you, you idiot." She rolled her eyes, reaching for his hand. "You honestly thought just because I would have to go through some adjusting, I would push you away instead?"

"Three kids, Stevie! Two of them are teenagers!"

"But you're a wonderful father and... I'll learn how to deal with them along the way."

"I didn't think we'd get to this part, I thought by now you would be on your way back to Joe."

"Don't be ridiculous!"

"But... You're truly okay?"

"Yes. Although, we're in the middle of the tour, how is that going to go on? Like, where will your kids be when we leave?"

"Honestly? I'm not going to pretend that I know, because quite frankly, I'm fucking terrified, but we'll find a way."

"And Kristen? She just decided she doesn't love her kids anymore or..."

"I wish I would know the answer to that. I'm sure it's not that she doesn't love them anymore, but..." He shrugged his shoulders. "I just don't know."

"And where is she going to go?"

"No idea. Europe, Africa, god only knows..."

"And she's perfectly okay with the fact you and I are going to be together and l will be around her children?"

"Apparently."

"What happened to her? Actually, how did you asking her for divorce went?"

"Lots and lots of tears. Though, she said she knew this was coming. She knows I've only ever loved you. Just that she hoped somehow we'd manage to be a family and raise our kids together, but us separating is probably for the best. She said she loves me and it's hard for her seeing me with you, because I never looked at her the way I look at you, or how excited I get whenever I'm around you. Long story short, in her heart she knew, at some point our marriage would break apart."

"I'm shocked she didn't tear half my hair out at the party."

"Trust me, she's scared of you."

"I'm not that scary!"

"You can be." Lindsey said, speaking from his personal experience.

"What about Will, Leelee and Stella? Do they know about this whole situation? That all of a sudden, they're getting a new mother?"

"Will is very angry at Kristen, he refuses to talk to her. Leelee doesn't even speak about it and Stella is just confused. We were wacthing some movie together and she sat next to me, and asked, why is it that Aunt Stevie is going to be our new Mommy?"

"Poor thing..."

"Needless to say, they are taking it pretty hard, but I didn't expect anything else. I knew this wound won't heal very soon." 

"I just don't want them to feel like I'm replacing Kristen."

"They don't."

"You don't know that, Lindsey..." 

"Hey..." He pulled her closer to himself. "Don't worry, okay? It will be fine, I promise you. The kids love you."

"No, they love Aunt Stevie, who has a cute dog and buys great presents."

"They do love your presents." Lindsey laughed, pressing a kiss to her hair. "But please... You've got nothing to worry about, I swear to you. Like you said, some adjusting will be in order, but we'll make this work. Somehow, we always do."

"Okay, I believe you. I think." She added, putting her arm around his middle. 

"That's good enough for startes!"

"But Lindsey?"

"What?"

"You better marry the hell out of me!"

"As soon as you pick the date." He laughed, lifting her chin up to kiss her.

Somehow, they would make it work.