Three weeks

"Ignore it." Stevie said and Joe did for some time, when they heard the doorbell ring again.

"What if it's important? It's pretty late."

"And what if it isn't?"

"I'll only be a minute." She got off him with an exaggerated sigh and he grabbed his robe on the way out of the bedroom, tying it while walking down the stairs.

Stevie sat in the middle of the bed, with her legs crossed and her heart beating fast. Could it be Lindsey? She sure hoped not, there wasn't any way to explain herself if he had decided to show up at midnight, to tell Joe about their quickie after everyone left. 

Joe checked through the peephole and frowned, opening the door. "Hello?"

"Hi, um... I'm sorry to bother you this late, but... May I speak to Stevie?"

He hesitated for a moment. They were just about to make love and the person at the doorstep would certainly be a mood killer. "Babe!"

"Yeah?" 

"Could you come down?"

I'm fucked, was her initial thought. She didn't hurry, taking all the time she had to come up with something to say for herself. Tying the sash of her gorgeous black silk robe, she took one last deep breath, let it out and walked to the front door.

Surprise was evident across her face. No, it wasn't Lindsey as she had thought. "Kristen?"

"Yeah, it's me." 

"How can I help you?" Stevie asked, stepping closer to Joe, whose arm wrapped around her. 

"I... well, Lindsey didn't come home tonight."

"And you just assumed you'd find him at my place?" She crossed her arms over her chest, looking intimidating to the younger woman.

"Honestly, I did. I guess I was wrong." Kristen looked at the couple in front of her, thinking, how was it that this woman in her mid sixties had her husband at her feet and there she was, cuddled up to apparently her boyfriend, or whatever the relationship between the two was. Kristen hadn't heard anything nor had Lindsey said a word. "Did you talk to him at all today? Maybe he mentioned something?"

"We're not really friends, Kristen. And neither do I have a right to question what he's got planned to do after rehearsals, that is up to you."

"I'm just worried about him..." And so was Stevie, but she wouldn't let either of the two people with her know that.

"He's not a baby, he'll call you or he'll come back home. Doesn't he always?" Kristen didn't miss the anger and slight jealousy in Stevie's voice. "Would that be all? You're done accusing me of fucking your husband?"

"Stevie, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you." She felt it was time to leave. "Should I let you know if and when he gets back?"

"I can't seem to find a reason why would that be necessary."

"Well, okay... Again, sorry to have shown up this late."

"Yeah, what can you do." Stevie opened the door and Kristen walked out. She had already turned around and was on her way up the stairs, but she stopped, when Joe didn't follow. "What?"

"Could you have sounded any more jealous?"

"I wasn't jealous."

"Trying to appear so indifferent, Stevie, really? I know you care a lot about that man and I know it will never go away, but that's cool as long as it remains friendly. And I also know you're crazy worried as to where he is now."

"Let's just go to bed, okay?"

"Did anything happen between you tonight?"

"No!" Her reply came too quickly for Joe not to get suspicious. "I didn't mean to yell. Please, come with me and don't question me, okay?" She offered him a smile and he took her hand she was holding out for him.

There was no way they were going to continue what they had started, but he didn't push her away or worse, went to sleep in another room. He pressed himself close to her from behind and hugged her small frame. 

"I understand you will always love him."

"Joe..."

"No, really. Just... I would be happy if you didn't go behind my back. That's all I'm asking."

"I'm sorry." 

"Is there a reason for you to be?"

"I'm sorry about everything, but I do want to be with you. This is good and it's right."

"You make me happy and I don't want to lose you, although, I know I will never really have you."

She turned to face him, kissing him before speaking. "I'm here with you, aren't I?"

"Yes, but..."

"No buts. Goodnight."

He laughed, tightening his grip on her. "I love you."

She kissed him again instead of repeating those three words. 

~

Stevie woke up early the next morning. And the first thing she saw entering the kitchen, through its window, was a car parked outside the gates. She sent Lindsey to hell a thousand times in her head, because it was his car. 

She left the house as quietly as she could and went to get Lindsey to disappear. She knocked on the window of the driver's side door and he didn't flinch. She did it again, louder this time, making him jump. He unlocked the car and she got in the back seat, where the windows were tinted and asked him to do the same. 

"Are you out of your fucking mind?!"

"Don't yell, Jesus!" He rubbed his eyes, trying to wake up.

"Don't park outside my house then!"

"I was just passing by..."

"You were asleep, Lindsey!" She saw a bottle that was halfway empty on the passenger's seat.

"What do you want me to say to you?"

"I want you to tell me why would you act so stupidly?"

"I just..."

"Didn't we discuss this? That you'll stop obsessing and leave me be?"

"Oh yes, we did, but then you decided to fuck me, remember?"

"How long have you been here?"

"Couple of hours." He shrugged, not sure himself.

"Did you inform Kristen where you are?"

"What, no!"

"She came here last night."

"What for?"

"You didn't come home, she thought you were at my place." 

"As if we're that fucking stupid." He grunted.

"Apparently you are, Lindsey! Joe's in there, he's in bed sleeping, while you're lurking around!"

"I didn't ask for the details, thanks. You don't have to tell me in what exact position he had you last night either."

"You can't be doing this." She sighed, suddenly a lot softer.

"I miss you."

"You can't."

"You look hot." She smiled sadly and took his hand. "I hate thinking that he gets to see you like this every night. You're practically naked!"

"Then do something about it."

"What?" He didn't see that one coming.

"You have three weeks until the tour starts."

"What are you saying here, Stevie?" 

"I'm saying that you have three weeks, Lindsey."

"What do you mean?!"

She wouldn't explain, he had to understand.