You should have told me

"YOU GOT MARRIED TWO DAYS AGO?!"

"No! But I could have, Lindsey!" She hit his chest, then jumped on him, wrapping herself around him. "This is serious, you should have told me!"

"My heart stopped, Stevie, literally!" 

"I'm sorry." She said, kissing every inch of his face. 

"So, you're not the wife of Joe fucking Walsh?"

"Do you see a ring, you smartass?" She lifted her hand up. "I can't believe this..."

"Believe it, baby." He cradled her face in his hands, bringing her down to press his lips to hers. 

"I thought you had lost the last bit of hope. I honestly thought you had given up on me."

"Never. It took me so long only because of the kids, I had to be sure she wasn't going to forbid me from seeing them or something. Then of course, you got back together with Joe and got engaged, so... I can't say I wasn't having doubts. But you know that I would never give up on you, on us."

"This is easily the best Christmas gift ever."

"See? This is why I waited."

"What if I did get married, Lindsey? What then? You would be the one begging me to divorce?"

"Okay, I admit, that was kind of stupid and I didn't consider it, but the important thing is it didn't happen and you're still Stephanie Lynn Nicks."

"You know, I was getting excited about the wedding... I had the dress picked and everything."

"Is that a hint?" He raised his eyebrow, smirking at her. 

"Let's not get too far with this. It's us, Linds. We might start plotting how to murder each other after a week of living together."

"You don't think we've grown up at all?" Lindsey laughed at what she said. Suddenly, Stevie's face broke into a smile. "What are you smiling about?"

"This is happening. You're divorcing Kristen and you're going to be free to be with me."

"If you still want me by then."

"When have I ever not wanted you?"

"True."

"But we should probably go... If Kristen isn't going to start wondering, Joe will." 

"Right."

She saw how he instantly changed by the mention of her fiance.  Stevie leaned in to kiss him softly. "I want you to know that yes, I will go home with him tonight. I don't want to break up when neither of us is completely sober and thinking straight okay? And I don't want to ruin the friendship I have with Joe, because he's a completely different man and I don't want to lose him as a friend." He still wasn't looking at her. "Linds?"

"What?"

"Stop pouting, you big baby." 

"Just don't drag this break up out to seventeen years okay?"

"Tomorrow, I promise you." She got off him and held her hand for him. "Let's go."

"Can we not?"

"Lindsey!" 

"Okay, okay!"

She couldn't help but laugh. "How are we going to be a couple?"

"We'll manage." He kissed her hair and they went back inside the house.

Stevie was glad to see Joe occupied, it didn't even seem like he noticed for how long she was absent. She put her arm around his back and his instinctively went around her shoulders. 

"Enjoying yourself?"

"Actually, yeah. Surprisingly." Joe added, the palm of his hand moving to rest on the small of her back. "And where were you for so long?"

So, he did notice, she thought. "Outside, I told you."

"I hope Buckingham wasn't around?"

"I don't know where Lindsey was, Joe. I'm not looking after him."

"Good." He pressed a kiss to the side of her head.

"Don't you think it's time for us to go home?"

"If you want, sure."

"Yeah, I'm feeling a little tired. Quite a lot of people around here to talk to."

"Right, well okay then. You're going to say your goodbyes?"

"Yes, I won't take long."

Ten more minutes and they were in the car, being driven home.

~

"Tonight wasn't that bad." 

"I'm glad." 

"I've decided that Mick is the nicest member of Fleetwood Mac."

"Why's that?" Stevie laughed, turning off the bedside lamp once Joe lay down next to her.

"Because he talked to me."

"Oh, poor you!"

"No, I was an ass to you back then, I deserve to be treated like I am."

"But you've changed so much, you're a wonderful man, Joe."

"You changed me." 

"Don't say that..."

"Why not?"

"Just don't." She tried to not sound harsh, letting him draw her closer.

"Everything alright?"

"Yeah, yeah everything's just fine." She gave him a quick kiss, to stop him from any more questions.

"If you're sure..."

"Yes."

"Goodnight then."

"Night." 

She turned on her other side, lying wide awake. Was she doing the right thing? She loved Lindsey with every piece of her heart, but when did things go the way they wanted to? Did she really need everything that came along with Lindsey? Things were so easy with Joe...