Chapter Thirty-Six

I take one more glance at the cup, rip off the lid, and throw it in Julian's face before he can grab me. I leap for the door, but he catches me around the waist and we clatter to the floor. The smell of blood mixes with salty anger, and I toss him off me. I pause for too long, surprised by my strength. He's in front of me before I even reach the door. Heat races up my neck. I push him to the side with a loud crash, but he recovers quickly.

Jab.

Kick.

I'm fighting a vampire and—

Snarling he slams me back against the wall. I cry out. His eyes are black again—I will certainly die now. A calm flows through me again and I feel every muscle in my body, I see every muscle flexing in his. The room seems to slow with my breathing.

"Get off me!" I ram my knee into his groin and he falls back.

"ENOUGH!" A deep, heavy voice booms. My muscles freeze responding to it—like he's commanding it.

There's someone standing in the doorway.

He's not in a lab coat. In fact, he looks very out of place in a tailored blue suit, the first button of his white undershirt undone. I couldn't try to dart around him if I wanted, he takes up the whole doorway. His light brows furrow, his eyes flickering black. But they're not on me—they're on Julian.

His hands flex into fists as he steps through the door making his biceps bulge against his jacket. He closes his eyes and takes a deep breath. Through gritted teeth he says, "You had one job. Ensure that she wakes comfortably and bring her to me. And you couldn't even do that."

Julian stands, his head bowed. He doesn't bother to wipe the blood that drips from his nose. "It was a misunderstanding, Master."

Master. The title rolls around in my head, igniting embers of hate, but they're extinguished as quickly as they erupt. He's not Talum.

He rolls his neck, cracking his knuckles. "Get me another cup—and clean yourself up. You ought to be embarrassed for letting a newborn get the better of you."

"Yes, Master." Julian bows quickly and leaves the room.

My gaze finds the man's face. But I don't feel afraid, he won't hurt me. There's something in me that knows that—or maybe it's the way he looks at me. His hazel eyes travel from my head—oh, my bald head—to my toes and back up.

A magnificent scar, mars his creamy beige skin. Starting below the corner of his eye and disappears under the collar of his dress shirt. A lightning bolt, thinning as it travels down, leaving little jagged frays. It doesn't take away from his inhuman beauty, but enhances it. I've never seen a scar so—perfect.

Julian returns, though his face clean and wears a new lab coat, there's still a spot of blood on the tee beneath his collar. Master takes the cup from Julian.

His voice notably calmer, "I'll retrieve you when I'm through."

Julian only nods this time and is out of sight before I can blink.

His hazel eyes rest on me. Maybe they hadn't even been black before. He clears his throat and steps forward, and I feel his nerves. I actually feel his concern, like it's physically bouncing between us.

"Who are you?" I whisper.

He pauses. "My name is Victor Ettore. I'm the master of this clan and your guardian."

I could run. He's out of the doorway now, but something wills me to stay.

"Guardian? That means you—"