Chapter Thirty-Three

Under the shadows of the trees we watch the guard round the building, blocking him from our view.

"What about cameras?" I ask, as Stevens steps toward the fence.

He pauses. "I haven't seen many. I think if we stay outta view of that one," he gestures to a camera poking off the side of the building, "then we should be far enough away to sneak by unnoticed. Plus, I doubt many of them are in use." There's no certainty in his tone, and I don't like that.

My gaze falls to my arms, pasty and white, definitely noticeable in the dark. The cameras will catch that. I squat and run my fingers through the dirt. It's wet enough to stick.

"Here, put this on your arms." I hold a hand full of mud out to Stevens. Unlike me, he's tan enough that he doesn't glow in the dark, but it wouldn't hurt.

He stares at the mud like it's the most preposterous thing he's ever been asked to do. I sigh and rub it onto my arms saving the last bit for my cheeks and forehead. Please, let there be no spiders. Once my bare skin is covered in mud, Stevens does the same.

"Okay, let's do this."

Stevens nods as if he wants me to go first.

"You go first," I insist.

His fists are clenched as he steps towards the fence. He looks over his shoulder like he's afraid I'll sprint away and shakes his hands before pulling himself onto the fence. There's no doubt he's fit, but he travels up the fence like a cat up a tree. Like his body was built to do it. My stomach twists when he makes the eight foot jump to the ground, shaking his hands upon landing.

I flex my fingers and slip them through the links. There's no way I can make that jump, but I'll worry about that after I get to the top. I pull myself up, finding my first foothold quickly, but slow when the fence chimes against the supports. Stevens glares from the other side.

With each steady movement my stomach pulls a tighter knot. I can't get us caught.

My heart pounds in my chest and echoes through my fingertips. I'm breaking into a government facility. Maybe I've gone over the edge. But it will be worth it, if I find any information in the lab. Breathe. In. Out.

I swing my leg over the top, but not high enough. Shit—the top of the fence scrapes my shin. A small whimper escapes my throat.

"You alright?" Stevens whispers glancing over his shoulder watching for the guard.

I pull my body over, ignoring his question and the stinging pain. My feet secure into the diamonds for my descent, and I don't breathe again until my feet hit the dirt.

"This way." Stevens gestures to the shadows on the side of the building closest to us. It's too quiet. The crickets know we're close, and the birds are ready to echo their calls.

We slink along the building, the concrete pulling at the fabric of my shirt, holding me back and telling me this is a terrible idea. Stevens yanks at a window, but it doesn't budge.

"What are you doing?" I hiss. "You're going to set off the alarms."

"Please, tell me if you have a better idea."

My heart rumbles beneath my rib cage. With my back against the wall, I slide down to the edge past Stevens until I can see around the building. A few yards down the backside of the building, a red light blinks back at me.

I wave Stevens closer and he peers around the building. "They use ID badges." He pulls back into the shadows staring into the dirt. "I've got an idea. Stay here." He disappears before I can object.