Chapter Fifty-Two

Victor said look into the mirror and my demon will reveal itself, but I've been standing here for twenty minutes just staring. I tuck my untamed mess of hair behind my ears, it's just barely long enough now. I'll see if Gabby can trim it when we return. It's been so long since I've seen myself with red hair it's hard to believe it's me. If only my hair was my biggest worry right now. I have a demon to call.

"Hello?" I whisper, unsure of how thick the walls are. My green eyes stare back at me, but nothing happens. I throw my hands onto the counter. This must be some practical joke. Victor's probably standing outside the door right now snickering at my foolish attempts.

I roll my eyes and turn away from the mirror. "This is so stupid."

"Leaving so soon?" A voice echoes behind me.

I whirl around meeting a set of black eyes in the mirror. My reflection ripples until a second figure steps out. A set of twins blink back at me. One me, the other with burnt black eyes and a set of wings. They aren't like Victor's or Talum's. They're delicate, like lace, with sheer black webbing intertwined. They're beautiful.

"What are you?" I whisper, my mouth dry.

"Don't be silly. You know exactly what I am. I'm you, of course. Well, I'm the potential of what you could be."

"You are not me."

"Oh? But you don't seem to have a problem when we feed together. I'd say you rather enjoy feeling the life slip from their bodies."

"Stop it," I say through my teeth.

"You called me, remember? You can leave at any point."

"What's your name?"

She lets out a scorned laugh. "You don't think I would be foolish enough to give up my name for nothing."

I stare at the reflection, of course not. "I won't make a deal with you. You'll tell me your name—"

"Or what? You'll starve me?" A smirk lifts the corner of her lip, and she crossed her arms. "I am your life support, honey, but go ahead and try." She winks and twirls into mist.

~*~

I wake to shuffling feet. Drawers being opened and slammed. A hazy figure blurs around the room. "What's going on?"

"I just received a message from Lace. The Silvanos have attacked. My office and some of the homes have been destroyed, and more people are getting sick. I have to return."

I sit up, pushing off the warm comforter. Lazarus' warning slips through my mind. This was exactly what I was trying to avoid. I should have known leaving wasn't an option.

Victor runs his fingers through his hair. "They're killing my people."

I move in front of him. He trembles under my touch. "Then we'll go back."

His eyes are a glossed, hard hazel and no longer exude the life I'd felt the night before. These eyes are of someone about to lose everything—of someone who's not going to let that happen. "If the Silvanos want a war, then that's what they'll get."

~*~

A gray haze hangs over the estate like an extension of the clouds, only it doesn't smell like summer rain, but like smoldering wood and lost hope. Two houses we pass are burned to their studs—three need serious repairs.

Victor knuckles turn white around the steering wheel with each house we pass. I don't need our bond to feel the pain in his eyes. These are his people. This is his whole world—everything he's worked for.