Chapter Forty-Five

It's late afternoon when Gabby steps through the door and I've run a noticeable trail in the carpet. I can't blame her for wanting to take me out tonight even if it's just to the community clubhouse attached to the main offices.

Though Gabby says there's no fresh feeding here, my mind keeps flickering to the night before when the demon took control. I have to do things without Victor, but without him, is there any chance of escape?

Gabby and I leave shortly after sunset, which doesn't help with my nerves. Her phone beeps and the screen highlights the sharp ridge of her nose. "Go ahead, I'll only be a minute." She puts the phone up to her ear. "Hello." And then she's gone.

The Lounge is far different than Atë. The dim lights reflect off of the polished black surfaces of the bar and table tops. Rich hardwood floor connects two rooms highlighted with white vases and black mosaic paintings. The room I step into is lined with sofa style seating, while the interior was peppered with a mix of tables and chairs and an ivory bar.

The second room, only separated by partial wall, offers a large opening to play pool and darts. I sit at the bar and order a drink. When the bartender returns, he brings a deep red drink that smells of whiskey and mint. "It's a house favorite," he says.

I take a sip. Even the atmosphere is different than Atë. Humans lounge around with vampires, playing pool, talking politics or about the latest football game. It's unbelievably natural. Of course this was possible—this is how they stay hidden.

A high-pitched voice comes from behind me, "Peter, I need a bloody mary and make it extra bloody." The words slip from her tongue like silk. A tall thin brunette leans across the bar.

"Hi, Lace." Julian was right—her face is quite pretty when she smiles.

Her red lips curl, like she had tasted something putrid. "Oh, you're still here. I'm surprised you didn't rush away with the Silvanos."

My eyes dart to the three people that chuckle behind her. Another brunette woman and two men wearing suits. All looking overdressed in this atmosphere. "Why would I do that?"
"Victor was worried about how you would react."

"He told you that?"

"Of course he did. Victor and I are very... close." She sips drink leaving a small smudge of red lipstick on the glass.

I straighten. "Then I'm sure he told you that I have no intentions of leaving."

"Oh honey, he did. But let me assure you, Victor doesn't like liabilities. So, one wrong move and you'll be gone." Her cold amber gaze pierces me. "Now, if you'll excuse me, I've got better company to entertain." She spins to face her threesome. I roll my eyes as they choose a seat in the far corner of the room.

"Damn, she's a bitch." Gabby materializes on my opposite side. "Sorry, I had to take that." She points at her phone.
"I think she hates me too."

"Don't take it personally, she hates everyone and the one she doesn't—she now has to share."

"I didn't ask for it." But, I didn't want it to go away—Stop. How could I think that when I just met him?

"She doesn't care. Don't worry about her, she's just a pretentious bitch."

"You don't think she would have any influence with Victor about me?"

"I doubt it. Victor runs by his own rules. He will ultimately do what he wants." She waved down the bartender. "Just my regular."

I stir my drink with the straw. "I hope so."
"Lace just thinks she has more power than she does. Victor has her wrapped around his finger, and she thinks it's the other way. That's it. Plain and simple."