1 Broken

Again a new day. So similar to every other day and yet completely different. One moment had turned our whole life upside down again. Fate was really cruel. You leave the house one morning and everything is fine. Even better than fine. I had everything I always wanted from life. But one evening you come home and there is no more of the joy and cheerfulness in your home.

The children were still too young to understand what had happened. Aiden was four years old and Alice two. Again and again I had to explain to them what had happened. Each time another stab into my already broken heart. Aiden no longer asked what had happened. But Alice...Alice asked every hour.

I tried to be as patient as I could, but it was hard. It took a lot of strength not to take out my frustration and sadness on the children. I had to be strong for both of them.

We were just sitting together at the dining table having breakfast when the doorbell rang. I got up and walked towards the door.

"Aiden, Alice, you both stay and eat breakfast. Daddy will be right back," I said to the two little ones. I opened the door and let Y/N mother in.

"Good morning Adam. How's everything going? Is there anything new? You look terrible," she said to me as she took off her jacket and hung on the coat rack. I rubbed my hands across my face in frustration and groaned.

"Still the same. There is nothing new. I would like to scream at the top of my lungs, but I pull myself together as best I can. At least when the kids are around. And I'm sure I look as awful as I feel," I replied.

"Daddy come here quick. Ally's making a mess." I heard Aiden calling.

I hurried back to the dining room table and saw that Alice had thrown her scrambled eggs all over the room. I took a deep breath and counted internally to ten to calm myself.

"Alice, what are you doing?" I asked my daughter. I didn't get an answer from her, but instead she was banging around on her high chair with her little fists and screaming at the top of her lungs. I knew why she did it and still it was hard to bear every time. For two weeks she had tantrums almost every day.

I lifted her out of her high chair and pressed her firmly against me. Carefully I rocked back and forth, hoping that she would calm down again. After a few minutes she calmed down, fortunately.

"I want Mama" she sniffed over and over again.

"I know angel, I know," I said as I was still gently rocking her.

"Adam this can't go on like this. I am taking them to preschool and day care now, but we need a plan," said Y/N's mother, and as I turned to her I saw that the sight of her granddaughter broke her heart.

She was right, of course. It could not go on like this. The children suffered a lot from the whole situation. Maybe even more than me. It was hard to tell.

How much I would like to be able to turn back time. Back to the time when our world was still okay.