4 A morning together

Adam POV

"Daddy...Daddy wake up!" I was woken by Aiden, who gently pulled my arm. Slowly I opened my eyes. It was still quite dark outside.

"Hey Buddy what's going on? Why aren't you asleep?" I wanted to know from my son while I was rubbing my eyes tiredly.

"I had to make peep-peep. I saw Ally's door was open. Ally's not in her bed," he told me.

"What?" I asked as I sat up quickly.

"What's the matter?" I heard Y/N sleepily ask. I was glad she was finally getting some sleep.

"Aiden says Alice is not in her room. Go back to sleep. I will take care of her," I said to her in a reassuring tone.

"Well, it's hard to be in two places at once," she replied cheerfully. I turned to ask her what she meant, but at that moment she pulled the blanket down a little and revealed our sound asleep daughter.

"Aiden, come here, sweetheart. You can cuddle with Mama and Daddy too. It's too early to get up," she said and Aiden climbed into bed with a big grin on his face. He cuddled up between his little sister and me, but his hands immediately reached for his Mama. He held her hand very tight. I wondered if he would ever let her go again.

"Love you Mama," Aiden said with a big yawn before he sank into the pillows.

"I love you too baby," Y/N replied gently.

I lay down again and turned on my side so I could look at Y/N.

"Go back to sleep, Adam. I know you're very exhausted. I'm sorry I left you alone with this. I promise I'll make an effort to get our life back to normal." she whispered and I could hear her emotions swaying in her voice.

"Shh...You have nothing to be sorry about. We are a family. A team. And you're exhausted too. We can always talk about it later." I whispered back as my eyes closed with fatigue.

A few hours later I would be woken by the quiet giggles of my children. Man, how I missed that sound.

"Shh...Keep it down, you two. Let Daddy sleep a little longer," Y/N warning the little ones.

"It's okay. I'm awake," I said and began to stretch.

"Daddy, Mama's making waffles for breakfast," Aiden said excitedly as he sat up to look at me.

"No pancakes," Alice said.

"No waffles," Aiden replied.

"I want pancakes," his sister replied.

"Okay, calm down. We're having a family day. I'll just do both. Is that okay with you?" said Y/N to the two.

"YAY!" both said at the same time and started jumping on the bed.

We both watched our children and laughed. It was good to hear Y/N laugh again. I knew it would take some time to process the loss of our twins, but I was glad that at least the first step in the right direction had been taken.

"Okay. Daddy will help you get washed and dressed. I'll go to the kitchen and start preparing breakfast," she said and Aiden and Alice jumped out of bed and rushed to the door.

Y/N also slowly climbed out of bed and reached for her robe. But before she could leave the bedroom, I stopped her. I pulled her to me and wrapped both arms around her waist.

"I'm really glad you're feeling a little better," I said before I gave her a kiss on the forehead.

"I know. It is hard and it will always hurt, but...you guys need me. I don't want to let you down any longer. I will do my best. Even if I will be sad for a while" she explained to me with lowered eyes.

"Hey, we can do this together. You just have to remember that you're not alone," I said as I raised her chin with my hand so I could look her in the eyes.

"Yes, I know, and I am so grateful for that. I love you so much," she replied gently.

"I love you, too. Well then, let's make breakfast and then plan our family day. Okay?" I replied and gave a long kiss afterwards.