6 Preparations

"Okay you two, that looks really great. I'm sure Daddy will be very proud of us. Now we're going to carefully put them one by one into the containers so Mama can put them in the fridge," I said to Aiden and Alice as I looked at our homemade sushi. I was really proud of my kids. They both worked very hard to help me surprise their father.

"I hope Daddy likes it," Aiden said as he and Alice placed the sushi in the containers.

"Oh he's gonna love them for sure, sweetheart. I am sure he will be impressed with how great you have done this," I assured my son.

"Mama, where is Daddy?" Alice asked.

"He's at the gym with Kyle, Roddy and Bobby, remember?" I said.

"Oh, yeah." she said. By the time Adam left, she was too busy with her dolls to pay any attention to him.

"Mama, can we visit Daddy and the uncles before we go to grandma and grandpa's house?" Aiden suddenly asked.

"Sure. Good idea. Okay, now let's go wash our hands. Then we will pack your things. If we hurry we still have time to visit Daddy," I replied and helped them both off their chairs that they were standing on to get to the kitchen island.

"Go into the bathroom. I'm just going to put this in the fridge and then join you," I told the kids.

After I put the sushi in the fridge and wiped everything clean, I followed the kids into the bathroom.

Half an hour later, their things were packed and we were ready to hit the road. I strapped Aiden and Alice into their car seats and checked my mental checklist once more to make sure we hadn't forgotten anything.

After a short drive, filled with the singing of the children, we arrived in front of the gym. I got them both out of their car seats and then we headed inside. With Alice on the arm and Aiden on the hand, I kept an eye out for my husband and his buddies.

There he was. Adam lay flat on his back and breathing heavily while Kyle sat next to him with his elbows on his knees. Probably they had been practicing submissions. I put Alice on her feet and she and her big brother stormed towards the two men.

Alice just hopped on her daddy's stomach and Aiden wrapped his arms around Kyle's neck from behind. Judging by their reactions, they hadn't heard the kids coming.

"Hey Daddy!" Alice giggled as Adam lifted her into the air and kicked her legs.

"Hello, my angel. What are you doing here? Where's Mama?" Adam asked our daughter.

"I am here. The children wanted to visit you. I hope we're not disturbing you," I said and a moment later Bobby and Roddy joined us.

"Of course not. It's totally okay!" Adam said as he stood up with Alice in his arms and came to me.

"Daddy we made a surprise for you," Aiden suddenly said.

"Aiden shh! Secret!" I said to him and held a finger over my lips.

"Oops sorry Mama," he replied and turned his attention back to Kyle.

"Oh a surprise? What is it?" he wanted to know.

"You'll find out when you come home tonight," I told him.

"Oh, come on. No hints?" he pouted.

"Nope. Be patient, my love." I answered with a smile.

"Ally, what's the surprise?" he whispered to Alice. She looked at me and I shook my head. She began to grin and shook her head hard.

"I see. My girls stick together." Adam mumbled and put Alice on the floor so she could greet the others.

"Ally-bear! How is my future daughter-in-law?" Roddy wanted to know and made everyone laugh. Well, everyone except Adam.

"No boys for the next 30 years, right Ally? What did Daddy told you about boys?" Adam said.

"Boys are icky," Alice replied after a moment of thinking.

"That's right. All boys are icky except..." he continued.

"Daddy and Aiden," replied his daughter. I shook my head and rolled my eyes.

"Guys, we'll cross that bridge when the time comes. We have plenty of time before we have to think about it," I said.

Roddy liked to tease Adam about it and Adam reacted worked up every time, which of course the other three found very entertaining.

"So, I'm going to take the children straight to my parents for the night. I thought to myself that we need a little time together again. And since you're out of town next week when our wedding anniversary is, I thought we could use tonight. And I need the distraction. You know what this week would have been," I said to Adam, but in the end I had to fight the tears again.

The last few weeks were filled with distractions, but this week was especially hard.

"Yes, I know. And I think an evening for two is a great idea. So I guess I'll see you at home then? Should I get anything else?" he asked as he stroked my arms soothingly. I shook my head, both to answer his question and to drive away the bad thoughts.

"No. Everything is prepared. I only need you," I replied and snuggled up close to him.

We stayed a few minutes and then let the men continue their training. I drove the children to their grandparents and then headed home. There I made the last preparations for a much needed evening for two. Something that we had far too rarely.