Courtship

"I owe you one Haruhi. If you ever need anything, let me know and I will see what I can do for you. I unfortunately have to go as I have a meeting with my mother and Ootori. Thank you again for you help. All I ask is that you keep this from the others, I can't have them worrying." I stated grabbing my bag and folding the blanket she lent me.

"Are you sure you are up for that?" She was concerned, it meant a lot to me.

"As a business woman I have to carry a facade to protect my name. If I falter, I will lose the respect of my peers." She hugged me and I wrapped my arms around her.

"Thank you again. And seriously. If you ever need anything, just say the word and I will help you."

I left her and got into yet another towncar. As we drove back to my mothers estate I formulated what I was going to say to my mother. Once we reached the property I made my way to my mothers study, knocking on the door. She opened it and brought a hand up to her chest in astonishment.

"Akita, what happened to your hair?! And where did you disappear to, you never returned after your dinner with Yushiko." She was climbing up the pissed off scale.

"Mother, he assaulted me last night, I must request that the courtship between him and I end." Her face dropped. A scowl forming on her lips.

"You slut, every potential husband I give you, you allow them to do this to you? Have you no decency to stay pure?" She walked into her study as I followed her.

"He assaulted me, I did nothing to promote him from doing so. I was trying to keep a business relationship and nothing more." I tried to defend myself but thats when she slapped me twice.

"All you were doing was keeping you legs open. Never speak to me like that again, can I not have a decent daughter to follow simple rules and stay out of trouble?" She snarled and I bit the inside of my cheek. "Leave, go to your room and reevaluate what you want from life."

I left with a huff. I knew it wasn't my fault, nothing she could say would make me change my mind of that. Making my way to my room, I smelt a strong scent of paint.

Once I turned the corner I saw the curtains behind my bed removed and a white wall, the paint still wet. Three months of painting with my brothers gone. The creativity, the passion, the bonding all gone. She had done this, it couldn't have been anyone else. I left for one night and she does this. Yumi Hasegawa took the only thing that made me happy every week for the past three months.

I sat on my bed blanket staring at the floor when a knock sounded through the room. I turned to see Kyoya enter and I stood up.

"I apologize about the smell of paint. We had to cover up the mural." He looked around the corner and blinked at the wall before facing me.

"Akita, you are full of surprises, first you text me to meet you today instead of at school tomorrow, you paint your barely finished mural, and you cut your hair." He set down a folder and handed me my journal.

"After yesterday, I realized I need to be more professional, I am graduating this year after all." I bowed my head slightly bringing my journal to my desk. I reached for the folder and reviewed the revised contract before signing it. I handed it back to him and saw he signed the contract I had given him.

"Your requests were reasonable. I forwarded them to the rest of the club so they are aware of what not to address around you. Now you paid for dinner on Friday night. I insist on repaying you with dinner tonight."

"If I am mistaken, you are asking me on a date, trying to get me to break my contract already?" I joked but he only smirked.

"Nonsense, I can't be in your debt, who knows what things you may ask me." I rolled my eyes, grabbing my purse I lead him out of my room.

"Its in walking distance too, so no need for a car."

"Now you are speaking my language." I smile at him. I heard yelling and saw Tani running away from Gomi. As they ran towards us and past us I let out a breath of relief they didn't crash into anything.

"Your brothers are twins?" He asks and I shrugged.

"Is it really that surprising? I mean you looked through my journal, I have mentioned them before."

"You never mentioned they were twins."

"See now you owe me double for going through each detail in my book. What kind of trouble could I get you in now?" He tensed up slightly but shook his head.

"You are seriously telling me you didn't once go through my notebook?" I shook my head, a smug smile forming on my lips.

"I opened the cover, saw your name and went to Music Room 3 to return it. One of your guests requested that I give it to her to return to you but having a guest get a hold of your notebook could be dangerous, don't you think? I mean I am sure you have secrets of some kind in that book of yours, and to think she could share all of that information with other guests!" He kept a straight face, his eyebrows furrowing slightly. "Now to think of it, maybe you owe me three favors Ootori."

"That's an interesting notion in its own way. Regardless, I will pay you back somehow." As we arrived a small ramen shop, we seated ourselves and put in our orders. I took notice I couldn't see the making of the food. Its going to be fine. Nothing was going to happen. I kept the mantra going through my head.

"I didn't you as a person to drink syrup drinks, Ootori." I watched him sip from the Mountain Fizz. An American drink that some seemed fond of here in Japan.

"I will need caffeine to sit through dinner with you." Kyoya smirked and I stuck my tongue out at him. "And to think you could mature in a single night."

"Shut it, wiseass." 

"Then stop being a smartass all the time." Our food arrived and I dug in. It was absolutely amazing.

"How did you know about this place?" He simply shrugged.

"My mother would take me here when I was younger, but once she became busier we stopped visiting."

"I'm the same way with that sushi place. My dad would take me there all the time before my brothers were born, since they were a handful, we didn't continue." I smiled at the memory. "Even the smallest things can provide such happiness."

"You are more sentimental than I pegged you for, Akita." My nose twitched at the use of my name once again. I groaned and stared at him.

"Please call me Niko. If it helps, my middle name is Niko therefore still my name."

"As long as you no longer call me by my surname."

"Hm I don't know you well enough to call you other than Ootori."

"Fine Akita it is." I continued to relish in the taste of the ramen. See you are okay. No need to see how the chef created this wonderful meal.

I sipped my water and sighed at my now empty bowl. "Thank you for taking me here Ootori. One favor resorted, you still have two favors left." I smirk only for him to roll his eyes.

"Let me walk you home." He quickly paid for our meals and he escorted me back outside. After walking some time in silence, he finally broke it.

"Will you be able to join our meeting tomorrow?"

"Fortunately yes, I have a few meetings towards the end of the week but until then I should be free to attend meetings." Silence overcame us once more. It was never uncomfortable, Kyoya had an oddly calming presence similar what I found in Takashi when I first met him. After several failed courtships, I knew first impressions and gut feelings always held out to be true. Was it luck?

No, no, its just human instinct. As we arrived, I slightly bowed and thanked Ootori for the calm evening before excusing myself inside. I return to my room, and sat at my desk. Opening my journal I went to Ootori's page and found handwriting that didn't belong to me. The same handwriting found on other students pages. New information I haven't come across yet. I guess he only owed me one favor then.