Chap 6

"I don't remember this way" Susan says as we walk along a path surrounded by trees, bushes, boulders, and hills.

"That's the problem with girls. You can't carry a map in your heads" Peter jokes.

I giggle to myself, bringing my hand up to cover my mouth with the back of it.

"That's a bit rich, coming from you" I say, bumping my shoulder with his.

"Oh, yeah? And how's that?"

I shake my head with a smile as we continue walking, Peter bumping his shoulder against mine.

"Well, at least our heads have something in them" Lucy pipes up playfully.

"Ooh, slow burn" I snicker, falling into step with Edmund.

"I wish he would just start listening to the DLF in the first place" Susan says after a moment.

"DLF?" Edmund asks curiously.

"Dear little friend" Lucy explains.

"Oh, that's not patronizing at all, is it?" Trumpkin asks sarcastically.

~

"I'm not lost" Peter mumbles to himself.

"No," Trumpkin says, jumping down from a boulder as I cross my arms over my chest.

"You're just going the wrong way" He continues, walking forwards.

"You last saw Caspian at the Shuddering Woods, and the quickest way there is to cross as the River Rush"

"But unless I'm mistaken, there's no crossing in these parts"

"That explains it then. You're mistaken"

"Oh, come off it, Peter. We haven't been in Narnia for over a millennium, I'd think that Trumpkin knows what's going on" I say, growing frustrated with Peter's behaviour.

"It seems you trust a stranger more than your best friend"

Peter mutters something else under his breath, and from what I can make out, it sounds like "Kissed".

'Do you really have to bring up something that happened sixteen years ago?" I ask, exasperated.

Peter shakes his head and storms off, me following after him while the others trail a little ways behind.

"Peter!"

"For Aslan's sake, Peter!"

Peter glances back at me with a scowl before running up ahead.

I stand in place, staring after his retreating figure. Lucy, Susan, and Trumpkin walk ahead of me.

"He's an idiot" Edmund tuts from beside me.

I chuckle slightly at his comment before grabbing his sleeve and pulling him along with me as we follow the others.

~

We slowly come to a stop at the edge of a cliff, looking over the edge. Water flows freely below.

"You see, over time, water erodes the Earth's soil, carving deeper-"

"Oh, shut up" Peter interrupts Susan.

"Is there a way down?" Edmund asks Trumpkin.

"Yeah, falling"

"Well, we weren't lost" Peter says.

We all turn to face Trumpkin.

"There's a ford near Beruna. How do you feel about swimming?" He asks.

"I'd rather that than walking" Susan answers.

"Aslan?" Lucy asks.

We all turn to face her, now alert.

"It's Aslan! It's Aslan over there!" Lucy shouts, turning to face us excitedly.

"Don't you see? He's right-"

She turns to point at where Aslan supposedly is, but is cut short.

"...there"

"Do you see him now?" Trumpkin asks.

"I'm not crazy. He was there. He wanted us to follow him"

"I'm sure there are any number of Lions in this wood" Peter says kindly.

"Just like that bear"

"I think I know Aslan when I see him"

"Look, I'm not about to jump off a cliff after someone who doesn't exist" Trumpkin says.

"The last time I didn't believe Lucy, I ended up looking pretty stupid" Edmund says.

"Why wouldn't I have seen him?" Peter asks Lucy.

"Maybe you weren't looking"

"I'm sorry, Lu"

~

We all hide behind a pile of lumbered trees, watching the Telmarines build catapults and chop trees.

When a couple men on horseback ride past us and we all duck down.

"Perhaps this wasn't the best way to come after all"

We peek back over the wood once the riders are a fair distance away. Peter quickly moves back into the forest as I spare another glance towards the Telmarines.

~

"So where exactly do you think you saw Aslan?" Peter asks Lucy.

"I wish you'd all stop trying to sound like grown ups" Lucy responds, turning to face us.

"I don't think I saw him, I did see him"

"I am a grown up" Trumpkin says as Lucy moves closer to the cliff edge.

"It was right over-" Her sentence is cut off as the ground beneath her gives way.

"Lucy!" Susan yells.

We run towards the broken ground and look down.

Lucy is standing on a smaller ledge.

"...here"