Chap 5

!WARNING! Kind of gruesome?

~~~

~~~

We were now using the Telmarines boat as Peter rowed us along the river and through the tree covered hills.

"They're so still" Lucy stated, staring up at the trees as we glided through the water.

"They're trees. What'd you expect?" Trumpkin asked.

"They used to dance" Lucy continued.

"Wasn't long after you left that the Telmarines invaded. Those who survived retreated to the woods. And the trees, they retreated so deep into themselves that they haven't been heard from since"

"I don't understand. How could Aslan have let this happen?"

"Aslan? Thought he abandoned us when you lot did"

"We didn't mean to leave, you know" Peter spoke up.

"Makes no difference now, does it?"

"Get us the Narnians... and it will"

~

We all hopped out of the boat and began to pull as Trumpkin stuck the anchor into the sand. I turned around, along with the others, when I heard Lucy speak. She was talking to a bear, who didn't look so friendly. I rested my hand on my sword's handle as Lucy spoke.

"Hello there. It's alright, we're friends" Lucy said, continuing as the bear stood up on its hind legs. The bear readied itself to run in Lucy's direction.

"Don't move, Your Majesty" Trumpkin cautioned as I took out both my sword and dagger. Lucy turned to face us just as the bear ran at her. When Lucy noticed the bear, she ran towards us.

"Stay away from her!" Susan yelled, raising up her bow and putting an arrow in the quiver.

I raised my dagger up, closing one eye as I focused on the bear's head.

Lucy fell down with a scream. The bear roared loudly and was back on its hind legs, about to bring itself down.

"Shoot, Susan! Shoot!" Edmund yelled, running in the direction of Lucy and the bear.

I set my sights on the bears head and threw my dagger at full force. It lodged nearly exactly in the middle of the bear's head as an arrow landed where the bear's heart would be. I turned in the direction of Susan, who still had her arrow in the quiver. Trumpkin had his bow out and was slowly lowering it as he looked forward.

I moved over to Lucy, who was still on the ground. I brought her into my arms, she was stiff for a moment before she hugged me back. I rubbed my hand over her back comfortingly.

"Are you hurt at all. No scrapes or cuts?" I asked her, checking over her face.

She shook her head and I stood up after patting her head lightly. I walked over to the bear, a sudden feeling of sadness seeping through.

"Why wouldn't he stop?" Susan asked from behind me.

"I suspect he was hungry" Trumpkin said.

"Maybe he retreated, like the trees did... maybe that's why he was so hostile" I muttered back, turning to face them all after I had pulled my dagger out of the bear's head and wiped it clean.

Peter ran over to Lucy and helped her up, keeping her close to his side before Edmund and himself pointed their swords at the dead bear. Trumpkin made his way over to the bear, poking at it.

"Thanks" Lucy said.

"He was wild" Edmund stated.

"I don't think he could talk at all" Peter continued.

"Get treated like a dumb animal long enough, that's what you'll become. You may find Narnia to be a more savage place than you remember" Trumpkin said, cutting into the bear with a knife.

"I somehow find that hard to believe" I said, crossing my arms over my chest as Peter put a hand on my shoulder.