chapter twenty four

Spencer's POV:

My stomach was in knots, my palms sweating as I knock on Vanessa's door. Sure to follow the requests in her text message. I adjusted my dark purple tie nervously, my charcoal grey suit over a lavender shirt, one of my best ensembles.

"Come in!" Her voice called through the wood. I ease the door open. The house was dark, lit by string lights cascading from the ceiling. Lit candles scattered decoratively through the living room, it was like walking into another world. I look around for Nessa, my eyes finally finding her out on the patio. She took my breath away, standing in the most beautiful dress. A skintight silk black dress with high slits on each side of the dress, showing off her legs and tall dark heels. She was still healing, the slits on her thighs laid with gentle scar tissue. She was a vision. I couldn't believe my eyes, and I quite literally couldn't breathe. She stepped forward meeting me at the patio door, the fabric of her dress waving after her. Her enchanting smile stealing my heart.

"Hi," She gushed, kissing me. I tried to speak but only an incomprehensible stutter came out. "Do you like it?" I forced out what use to be my voice.

"Vanessa," I shook my head in astonishment. "I can't believe you did all this." She shrugged.

"Well I can't take all the credit. I had some help from the wonderful girls of the BAU." She looked up at the lights. She was sparkling, sending butterflies through my stomach.

"What is all this?"

"What do you mean?" She saw my confused look, leaning her head tenderly. "Baby, this is for you." I still didn't get it. She noticed, rolling her eyes with a smile and taking my hands. "You took time off work to be with me when I needed you. You helped make me into the person I am right now, nobody has ever cherished me the way you do. Loved me the way you do. Protected me. You saved me." She exhaled, I did too, it felt like I'd been holding my breath since I walked in. "Through all my baggage. You stood by me. You have shown me what it means to truly love someone. And I wanted to do the same for you." She lead me onto the patio, a bottle of Champange tucked in a bucket of ice, with two glass flutes, strawberries perched on the rims, waited for us. She handed me a stack of books, her lips tucked excitedly. Have you ever heard the concept that you pick up on your partners quirks and start embracing them yourself? I just watched Nessa take that theory head on. Making it evidence.

"No way?!" I expelled, seeing the author on the side of the books. "Collectors editions John Steinbeck? Where did you find these?" My voice shook with excitement, blinking rapidly as I try to comprehend my reality.

"I told you, the 'Bottomless Bookshop' is the best place to get your hands on the best stuff." She beamed wildly at me, the light danced in her eyes, excitement pulsing through her as she handed me another gift. This one was wrapped with a elegant ribbon. I split the wrapping paper down the middle to find a Joni Mitchel CD. "I know you love music, and I don't think I've seen her in your collection. I think you'll appreciate this. Joni Mitchel is the empress of emotional education in the music industry." Before I could speak she handed me another gift. "Go ahead, you'll like this one." She said, bouncing a little. Her excitement sprawled through me, throwing open the sizable pale box. Removing a brown sweater vest, lined with cream colored details around the neck and waist. I huffed in disbelief, admiring the cloth and simple design. Maybe she can really read my mind.

"I don't know what to say." I looked down to her, offering me a flute of champagne. "Nessa."

"You're speechless, did I leave you speechless?" She smiled scrunching her nose adorably, making me laugh.

"I-I am indeed, speechless." I admitted, clinking glasses with her, taking a sip.

"I have one more thing." She said over her glass, changing hands and leading me into the kitchen. She turned on the kitchen light, revealing her table laid out with pasta. "I may have went a little overboard with the cooking." She twisted her lips sideways looking to the floor embarrassed, moving her hair. "Do you like it?" I turned to her after tracing around the table. I set my glass down, taking her hand.

"You did all this for me?" She stepped into me, arms wrapped around my waist.

"Of course. You deserve to feel the way you make me feel." I literally couldn't find the words to express myself.

"I love you." That didn't cut it. "I love you with everything I am."

"I love you too, baby." I felt my throat close grace her cheek with my hand diving for her lips, hitting them perfectly. My heart skipped a beat.

I'm sure of it now. I am totally, and utterly,
lost in love.