twenty nine

i split from cedric in front of the library, he turned right, explaining that he had some friends to meet. he kissed me on the lips lightly before he turned, but it didn't feel the same as it had before. it was like i had been in some sort of trance.

i caught up with draco at the bottom of the slytherin stairs and he smiled at me. he could barely walk, holding a stack of books so high that he couldn't see in front of him. i hurried to take some off him and he smiled gratefully. 'thanks' he paused 'is that my t shirt'.
'no' i told him, 'i found it. it's the same, but it's not yours'. he looked at me, as though expecting me to continue. 'you found it?'. i froze. i could hardly tell him what the context of me finding it was. 'yes' i confirmed, hoping he would drop it 'i found it'.

we made it back to his dorm, and he immediately dropped the books on his bed, walking over to his chest of drawers. he rifled through them, scoffing when he finished. 'elizabeth, you shit' he laughed 'i knew it was mine. it's been missing for weeks now'. okay, that was unexpected.

'i need to pee' i said quickly, standing up to go to the bathroom. i needed a moment to think. draco obviously hadn't left the t shirt in the cabin, he had seemed just as confused about it being there as me. i pushed the bathroom door open, looking up and freezing. draco's owl was hung from the ceiling, the sting tied around its neck to make it look as if it had hung itself. it hadn't though, obviously, its stomach had been sliced open, which was presumably the cause of it's death. it thrashed it's wings suddenly, trying desperately to fly away and i jumped, screaming in shock.

draco came flying into the bathroom behind me, the door smacking me in my back as he flung it open. i barely felt it, falling back into him as he wrapped his arms around me, turning me to face him. 'what is it elizabeth?' he asked desperately 'what's wrong'. i sobbed, pointing to the owl hanging above us and he froze, the colour draining from his face.

i remembered him once telling me that his mother had bought him this owl, and that in his first year it had delivered him daily packets of sweets from his mother. it was an eagle owl, one of the most expensive ones out there, but i supposed that didn't really matter now. i paused, feeling something in my hand. it was different to the usual power, the kind that let me use the telekinesis, but it was power all the same. i knew what it wanted me to do, but i also knew there wasn't enough of it for the damage that had been done. 'wait there' i said to draco quickly, running over to his bedside table. i pulled the draw open, taking out a packet of coke and taking it back into the bathroom. draco was crying now, although he was obviously trying not to. i didn't have time to console him though. i felt the longer i took to do this, the harder it would be.

i emptied the packet out onto the bathroom counter and he scoffed at me. 'seriously?' he spat 'you're doing that now?'. i ignored him, dividing up the lines and snorting as many as i possibly could quickly. i felt lightheaded, almost like i was going to pass out, i had to do this quickly. i climbed on to the counter, reaching over and starting to untie the owl, grimacing was the blood ran down my fingers. 'elizabeth what the fuck are you doing?' draco demanded and again, i ignored him. 'elizabeth' draco tugged on my, or his, shirt; attempting to get me down. 'elizabeth this is sick, he's dead, just get down'.

i finally unpicked the knot, letting the body of the owl fall into my hands. i gently lowered myself off the counter, placing the body on the counter. my hands were warm and sticky with blood, and i wanted to wash them desperately, but there was no time. i put my hand on the owl, closing my eyes and trying to regulate my breath. 'elizabeth?'
'draco, please shut the fuck up. i need to concentrate' i snapped and for once, he listened. i willed something to happen, envisioning the cut healing up, the blood flowing back into him. draco gasped behind me, but i didn't open my eyes to check, i couldn't lose focus yet. i felt the owls wings beat slightly beneath me, but i still wasn't done. i persevered, needing to be one hundred percent sure before i opened my eyes. i felt the flutter and panic of the owl desperately trying to fly underneath me and i opened my eyes, smiling. it had worked.

draco sobbed, pulling me into him and burying his face in my hair. i was definitely getting owl blood all over his clothes and i opened my mouth to tell him this, but decided it probably wasn't the time. 'thank you' draco whispered into my hair 'thank you, thank you, thank you'. i pulled away, grinning at him. my own cheeks felt surprisingly wet. 'don't mention it' i laughed. draco's eyelashes were spiky with tears, his cheeks flushed pink and splotchy.

he turned back to the owl, allowing it to hop onto his arm and whispering to it. 'hey buddy' he whispered 'hey'. he laughed quietly 'you scared me, you really really scared me'. i smiled, trying to ignore the black spots clouding my vision. i couldn't though, and i had known that this was going to happen. i had felt lightheaded enough from the drugs, but combining it with the draining effects of using spirit on that scale? it was always going to happen. i thought about it as i fell to the floor. i had never been able to use spirit on that scale before. i had literally brought something back from the, basically, dead. 'elizabeth?' draco asked, sounding worried, but i didn't have time to reply before i hit the floor.