thirty six

my stomach heaved, and my shirt clung to my back. 'shhhh' hushed emma, wiping the sweat from my forehead with a damp flannel. 'lily' she called 'lily. will you fetch more water please? and something cold. we need to get her temperature down'. lily popped her head round the door to nod, her eyes widening as she saw me. i vomited into the toilet again, feeling like the inside of my stomach lining was going with it. i don't even know how i had any food left to throw up. 'here, drink' emma ordered and i shook my head. 'you have to, you need to stay hydrated'. i gave in, allowing her to tilt the glass for me to sip the water.

lily came back with the water and an empty glass. 'an empty glass? really?' emma said disdainfully, taking it off her and placing it against my back. i shivered, taking ridiculous amounts of pleasure from the cold against my hot skin. 'it was the best i could do' lily replied 'the only person with ice packs here is pomfrey, and she would want to know why we wanted it'. emma frowned.
'maybe we should tell pomfrey' emma suggested 'i don't really know how to deal with drug withdrawal'.
'no' i protested, pausing from vomiting for a second. i tried to push myself up off the toilet with my arms, and i shook under the pressure of it. 'they'll kick me out for drug use. this was my final strike. you can't tell, promise you won't'. emma looked conflicted and lily shrugged 'she's right. we can't tell. they'll kick her out'.

'i should have known' emma choked 'the signs were all there. i should have known she was using again'. i couldn't turn to look at her, but i could tell from the strain in her voice that she was crying. 'hey' lily walked over to her, sitting down behind me and wrapping her arms around both of us. 'you're okay'. she turned to emma, whispering in her ear quietly, thinking i couldn't hear. 'you have to be strong, for her'. emma sniffed, wiping the tears from her face and tilting my head back, wiping my face with the flannel again.

'i'm sorry' i whispered 'i'm so so sorry. i'm such an idiot'. i rested my head against the cool tiled wall, closing my eyes. 'it's okay' lily replied, reaching over and placing the cup on the back of my neck again. 'we love you'.
'yeah' emma agreed 'we love you so much el'.
'can i go to sleep?' i asked 'i want to go to sleep'. emma and lily exchanged a look before turning back to me. 'yeah, you can go to sleep' emma smiled 'let's get you into bed'.

they both grabbed my elbows, supporting me and helping me to the bed like an old lady. they tucked the covers up to my chin, watching over me like protective parents. they were silent for almost twenty minutes, presumably until they thought i was asleep.

'do you think she'll be okay?' lily asked, and i could hear the worry in her voice. 'i don't know' emma replied, 'hopefully'.
'who do you think she's been getting the drugs off?'
'i have no idea' huffed emma 'if i knew i'd kill them. i thought everyone knew not to deal to her'.
'everyone did know' lily agreed 'but i guess everyone didn't care'. i frowned to myself. she had a point, but despite that i couldn't ever imagine draco not caring about me. although i suppose he mustn't have, not at first. 'i just love her so much' emma whispered 'she's like my sister, you're both like my sisters. i don't know what i'd do if i lost either of you'.
'hey, hey' lily comforted 'you're not gonna lose either of us. we're right here. we're not going anywhere'.
'yeah' emma sniffed.
'elizabeth's a fighter, you know that. she always has been'.