Chapter VIII

Kylo Ren was standing behind the cockpit of his command shuttle, giving orders. After they succeeded to override the energy shield, protecting the planet, He can feel himself conflicted of leading the battle destroying his old home.

Then a beeping sound behind him from one of the command panel caught his attention. He turns slowly waiting for the officers to report it. "Sir, we've detected an explosion coming from the west", finally one of the officers announced. "It wasn't from our bombers or gunners", Captain Kennedy added.

It was a long silence before his commander responded. Kylo wants the explosion to be discovered instantly. There's only one thing he could think of. "Send troops to the coordinates for an investigation", he ordered. "Right away, sir", Captain Kennedy shortly replied as he nodded slightly.

*****

Poe finally reached the base unseen as the war was still going on. He quickly entered the base through the secret underground passage door, built into the base for any survival purposes. As he stepped foot into the command center, Finn, Leia, Han, Athena, and Connix were surprised to see an unexpected arrival from him. They're just planning to get and save him from the First Order.

Poe gives them a little smirk. "Surprise..". They can all hear the exhaustion from his voice. With all of his bruises, wounds, and cuts, everyone in the room can tell his trip back to base was a challenge. "Poe! We were just about to save you. How did you escape?", Finn asked curiously. He wasn't that surprised at all. He knew he could escape from any danger on his own. "Like I said. I'll find my way back home safely", Poe said proudly.

Leia frowns. "I wouldn't say safely, you've got bruises all over your face", she told him as she comes over to Poe and caress his right cheek filled with lots of cuts and bruises. He's like a son to Leia. She cares for him like he's her own blood. It was the least she could do for Shara and Kes Dameron after everything they did for her and the rebellion. If only she could to the same to her own son. "What happened?", she continued. "The TIE Fighter I escaped with crashed down here", Poe explained shortly. "You stole a freighter?", Athena asked, and Poe nodded. "With the help of a friend"

"A friend? Who?", Athena asked again.
"Yeah, my friend from Kijimi, she was a stormtrooper but she helped me escape. I didn't even know how she got there in the first place."
"Well, where is she now?", Finn asked. He suddenly got interested in Poe's friend since he, himself was also a former stormtrooper.

"She..didn't make it...", Poe frowned sadly as he looks down, still regretting and blaming himself.
"Ohh Poe, I'm sorry to hear that...", Finn rubs his hand against Poe's shoulder, comforting him.
"You have our condolences", Leia told him sadly and Athena nodded. "It's good to have you back, kid", Han said as he wrapped his hand around Poe. "Me too", Poe simply replied despite his grieve.

Eventually he notices someone is missing. "Where's Rey and Rose?", he asked. "Rey's taking BeebeeAte to the nearest Resistance outpost and Rose is attempting to fix Artoo", Athena answered him. Poe only nodded as a medic came rushing in to care for his wounds.

****

Rey quickly got on one knee when she notices BB-8's antenna got bent in the process of them flying out of her speeder. So she kindly offers him to fix it. "Your antenna's bent", she called as she gives a gesture for him to move close to her so she could reach his antenna.

The droid quickly rolls closer to her. "That must've give away our position", Rey said as she reaches for his antenna and started straightening it. BB-8 beeps as if trying to say ya think? Rey just laughs lightly hearing his respond. "Come on, we gotta move fast", she added before getting up to her feet after putting back his antenna to its rightful place. BB-8 beeps a thank you before they head off away from the wreckage.