06

Astera walked herself back to the dorms, holding herself in attempt to warm up. The castle was always cold during the winter time. The stone walls and floors were unbearable.

She passed the windows, looking out as she did so. Her body flinched when she unexpectedly saw a dark figure sitting in front of one of them. Her eyes followed the motions as his head turned.

"What are you doing here?" Draco's words were merely a murmur. He didn't have the strength to talk anymore. His body was just limp and only existed because he did.

"You told me to stay away from you. Why talk to me?" she asked calmly, trying to fight the urge to be rude to him. It was hard.

Draco scoffed, turning his head away. She was right, he knew it. But, he was too stubborn to admit anything. Her eyes caught a glimpse of his cheeks. They were red and stained. She couldn't believe herself. Was it just the light?

She couldn't help herself but walk closer. Draco noticed, feeling her presence come closer to him as his ears registered her soft steps. His eyes turned to her, a hard look on his face. When he realized his mistake, Draco turned, hiding away.

"You..." she couldn't say it. How could she? It didn't feel normal. Draco Malfoy crying? No, it couldn't be, "A-are you alright?"

She couldn't help herself but ask, giving herself the permission to sit opposite him. He looked confused, and even, concerned. What did she want? Why was she sitting here?

"What's it to you?" Draco asked, swinging his leg from the edge of the window. His breath slightly fogged up the window glass, his fingers almost running over it.

"Why are you so mean? I haven't done anything wrong," she said, "I just asked a question."

"And I don't want you here," Draco spat out, his red eyes looking back at hers, "Leave."

She sighed, leaning her back on the stone wall and looking out with him. Draco looked at her in annoyance, waiting for her to leave. Except, he dreaded the moment she would.

"Did you know that there are people who believe we are made of star dust? That we are a part of this universe in a more meaningful way."

Draco looked at her, his eyebrows confused. She spoke ever so lightly, like she was talking with a friend. What got to her? Why wasn't she casting spells against him? Where did all her anger go?

"I don't know if I believe it, but I do believe we have a big role in this universe," she said, twirling with her fingers, "The muggles believe of this thing called the butterfly effect..."

Draco couldn't believe his own eyes. She was talking to him. Absolute nonsense, yet... It made sense. She was full of knowledge. Maybe not the kind we are taught is useful, but still very intelligent. There were moments she looked over at him, checking to see his state.

"Why are you sitting here?" Draco asked suddenly, looking over at her. The urge to degrade, hurt and play her was gone. He wanted to push her away, to make her mad and hurt, but simply couldn't.

She looked over, noticing the redness around his eyes was gone. His cheeks were still stained. Her hands wanted to rub them clean, to warm them up. What? Why?

"I don't fall asleep easily," she said, not really answering him, "Besides, crying alone is really low."

"So, what, you want to cry with me?" Draco asked in disbelief, the tone of sarcasm never leaving his voice.

Astera jumped off, dusting herself off, "No. But you stopped, so why cry at all?"

And she walked away. Draco watched her back and how she flicked her wand having it light up. He stood up, wiping away the dried tears. His body felt different. It felt tired. Like it was ready to sleep.

Carrying himself to his bed, he changed his clothes, climbing into his bed. The covers didn't feel like weights anymore and his back didn't feel like it was stuck to mud. His eyes actually closed and his mind was quiet. It was so peaceful. Foreign for him.

That night, for the first time in years, Draco was able to sleep like normal. No nightmares or cold sweats. He felt like he was floating on clouds. He felt alive, almost.

Astera climbed in bed as well, hugging a bear close to her chest. She closed her eyes, the sound in her head gone. She slept. And didn't wake up in the middle of the night. That night, Astera met Draco in a different light. And so did he.

That night, the two finally slept. Draco was able to rest.