09

Draco's eyes fluttered open, his grey eyes barely adjusting to the dim light in front of him. His hand took in the feeling of a warm coat underneath him and a crumpled up scarf under his head. His arm pushed him up, finally noticing the lake in front if him and tree behind him.

"Ugh, I'm never getting this..." A faint voice echoed in the distance, trapping Draco in another train of thoughts. He turned his head, that blond hair of his a little messy. He looked at the girl a few feet away from him, a book in her hand and a wand in the other. He noticed her coat and scarf were missing, understanding she gave them to him. Her hair was pulled up, a white strand on her head catching Draco's eye.

Astera didn't notice as Draco got up, flattening his hair against his head and adjusting his tie. The sun had started setting, a dark orange in the clear sky. It had stopped snowing. He approached her, the snow crunching underneath him, catching Astera's attention.

She lowered her wand and words as she turned around, realizing he had woken up, "Oh, you're awake."

"Why'd you leave me there?" Draco asked, but his question came out the wrong way. Really, he was curious as to why she let him sleep, why she let him rest and didn't bother him.

He had gotten used to the Slytherins bothering him, even in his sleep. Thus, why he usually roamed the halls at night.

"I didn't leave you..? I was right here the whole time." Astera said calmly, closing her book and putting her wand in her pocket.

"Right," Draco said, "Uh, you didn't have to leave your coat for me."

Was he actually being nice? Astera asked herself, not believing her eyes. Her crossed brows caught Draco's attention, he, himself, noticing his mistake.

"Besides, it smelt like mole rats anyway." he sneered.

Astera's lip slightly curled up, making her lower her head down. Yeah, there he is. She suppressed a comeback, but simply couldn't resist herself.

"Probably because you slept on it." Astera walked back to the tree, picking up her coat and scarf. Though, she was cold, the coat had gotten a little wet from the melted snow.

Draco made another comeback. After that, it was sentence after sentence, the two making fun of each other for small things. In a way, that was the only language they knew with each other.

"What are you doing with that book?" He asked, walking beside her.

"I was practicing," she said, "Here, let me try."

She flicked her wand and the front pieces of Draco's hair flew up as if wind blew in his face. He looked up, his hands instantly shielding himself from her. She was good at silent spells, especially coming in handy with people like Draco.

"Funny."

Draco's wand flicked as well, making the laces of her shoes untie and tie themselves together. Astera lost her balance, falling down and catching herself, luckily. Draco smirked, standing above her with his arms crossed.

"I'm sure you'll be able to untie those, right?"

Astera sat on the snow, pointing her wand towards Draco, flicking it and quickly wording out, "Avis!"

Draco's eyes widened as a small flock of birds came after him. Their wings flapped around him, their claws slightly picking at him. He waved with his hands, desperately trying to push them away.

A laugh left Astera's mouth as she untied her laces, getting back up on her feet. She watched Draco struggle and run, the flock chasing him as if their life depended on it.  He let out curses and threats towards her, telling her she will regret it.

At the top of the tower, the two were oblivious of Dumbledore's and Snape's eyes on them. Whilst the other had a small and warm smile, the other couldn't wait to scold the young boy.

"I will ask you again, Severus. Why didn't you tell me Draco was staying this year?" Asked Dumbledore, moving away from the window, yet still being able to hear laughter. Snape kept his eyes on Draco, following his feet as he ran from the birds and then stopping when Astera reversed the spell. The boy lunged towards the girl throwing yet another spell at her.

"Malfoy's family wishes to keep the situation private. They didn't want any unnecessary  attention." said Snape, his monotone voice echoing throughout the office.

Dumbledore nodded, "Yes, and whilst I respect that, you still didn't quite answer me."

"I only thought of Draco's best interest," he said, finally turning around, "I thought he wouldn't want anyone to know. You know how fragile his ego can be."

Dumbledore let out a small and airy laugh, "Next time, Severus, I'd like for you to come clean. There is not a reason to keep a student a secret from his own school."