Episode 3 - "Dark Echoes"

Kirito grit his teeth as he quivered in shock at the man before him. Eugeo paced, watching the ravenette like a hawk with his ice-cold glare. The black swordsman almost dropped to his knees, he wasn't sure what was happening or how this could be, but his question was soon answered as he noticed the blonde's eyes.

 The black swordsman almost dropped to his knees, he wasn't sure what was happening or how this could be, but his question was soon answered as he noticed the blonde's eyes

"The error code... his eyes... that's not right, Eugeo should have already broken it..." Kirito mumbled as he shakily gripped and unsheathed his blade.

For but a split second, Kirito felt like he might have to make the first move. But Eugeo began to speak again. "I will fight you, if that is what it takes." His voice was synthetic-sounding, almost corrupted and glitched. Kirito was reminded of the way Raios talked when he collapsed and was dying. The same bugged out audio effect was present when the trainee was screaming. Knowing this, he drew the conclusion that this wasn't Eugeo, or at least not anymore. He also drew comfort knowing that the real Eugeo would never raise a blade against him, and that this fight seemed to be almost unreal. Kirito steadied himself, and smirked. Eugeo didn't react at all, and that got the young male thinking.

Kirito confidently assumed his one-handed battle stance. "Don't worry. I'll make this quick." The corrupted knight drew his blade and fell into the same pose. "That ego shall be your demise." In an instant, they both kicked off of the floor and charged each other, violently connecting blades. As a small shockwave rippled throughout the room, Kirito and Eugeo viciously struck blows against each other, both using the Aincrad Style of which they were masters of. The more the fight progressed, however, the more Kirito realized something incredibly important. It wasn't just that this wasn't the real Eugeo. As they crossed swords again, the swordsman said what was on his mind.

 As they crossed swords again, the swordsman said what was on his mind

"You're not real... at all... are ya?"

Eugeo didn't seem to react to this, confirming his suspicions. The real Eugeo would have still displayed some kind of stimulus to that statement. Whatever this was, it was merely an echo. A phantom of an event that already occured. "I see what this is now. You're just a glitch in the system!" He knew what he had to do in order to beat this fake, and he was already on top of it. Kirito used an unorthodox counter-clockwise spin to knock Eugeo away, and then switch stances. He swung his blade more elegantly, mimicking the use of a rapier. "All right... Asuna! I'm borrowing this from you." He started with three short thrusts into Eugeo's chestplate. As he stumbled back, Kirito switched his hold on the Night Sky Blade and gave Eugeo two speedy slashes on his legs, then following up with a low jab into his stomach, and another jab into his chest. "Take this!" Kirito screamed as he jabbed one last time, completing the combo for the rapier skill Star Splash.