Chapter 7: Tanner

Mum cries into my shoulder as I slowly tell her what had happened. I knew she wouldn't believe me, but I couldn't lie. I had been in the hospital for weeks, and the truth was I got stabbed by a demon. No way would I tell her about Tyson though.
"He protected me for a long time but...he didn't know one was by me. I'm okay now mum. Stop crying." I whisper.
"No. There's no was a demon attacked you. There's no way Tyson protected you. THERE IS NO WAY." mum screams.
"I know."
"YOU DON'T KNOW TANNER! YOU OBVIOUSLY THINK EVERYTHING IS TRUE! I KNEW I SHOULDN'T LET YOU STAY WITH HIM. I KNEW HE WAS A HORRID INFLUENCE. HE ALMOST GOT YOU KILLED AND I BET HE STABBED YOU HIMSELF."
"No mum. He is a perfect influence and he wouldn't hurt me."
"HOW WOULD YOU KNOW!? HOW CAN ANY OF USE KNOW!?"
"STOP IT MUM!" I scream. Mum opens her mouth again to scold me, but my hand meets her cheek. "JUST STOP, PLEASE."
"Tanner. I'll take you away if you want, just take it easy." Tyson softly offers.
I knew this was wrong, but mum needed to know what was on my mind. Plus, she has no right to talk about Tyson like that, especially when he is standing right here.
"Ok." I whisper. I was in tears now and mum was glaring at me.
"No, I forbid you to go with him Tanner." mum declares.
"I'm sorry. Bye mum."
Before I realize it, a hand was in front of my face and I hear a slap. "I'm sorry ma'am, but I'm not letting you slap Tanner." Tyson says.
Mum had gone to slap me but Tyson but his hand there just in time to protect me.
Before I know it, I'm in Tyson's car and we are going to his house.

•••

"Tanner! I didn't know you were released today!" Anne says as I walk through the door. My eyes burnt and were red, but I managed a small, fake smile.
"We're going downstairs, bye." Tyson says. I nod in agreement and follow Tyson.
When we reach his room, I'm holding back tears again, I slapped mum. SLAPPED MUM. WHAT WAS WRONG WITH ME!?
"Tanner."
"Ye..s." I manage.
"Come here." Tyson says. He had sat on his bed and was holding a hand out. I walk to him and grab his hand. Tyson pulls me down and embraces me in a hug. I bury my face in his jacket and sob.
"It's okay, she'll forgive you." Tyson whispers into my hair. I look up for a moment then pull away from his warm embrace. My heart was racing impossibly fast.
Tyson places his hand over my broken rib and a black glow appears around his hand. At that moment my stomach felt fine, like nothing had happened. "Now you're healed."
"Thank you."
Tyson leans in closer and suddenly we are an inch away from each other. My cheeks burn and my heart is trying to jump out of my chest.
Why was I feeling like this? Was it because he watched me sleep for three weeks? Because he got me a cute present? He was my best friend, and we'd now known each other for over three weeks.
He saves me all the time and blushes when I smile at him. None of these reasons explain why I feel like I'm about to die when he looks at me though.
We were kissing distance, that's why I felt like this. I wanted him to kiss me. I NEEDED him to. He leans in a little closer and I feel his breathe on my lips.
Tyson's breathe was ragged and nervous. I decide to let it happen, I was ok with Tyson kissing me, with him sleeping with me if it went that far.
Tyson's lips part a small distance and I do the same. I was staring straight into his eyes. Why was he teasing me like this!? Why won't he just kiss me already?!
Maybe he's testing me, he wants to know if I'll kiss him and if I show I will he'll leave me. I'm going to deny him.
I slowly pull away and feel my cheeks turn red. For a slight moment I thought I saw disappointment in Tyson's eyes, no way. He wanted to kiss me and I pulled back.
"I'm sorry." Tyson mumbles. "I was getting carried away."
"It's fine!" I try to reassure him. I'm so stupid. He probably won't like me now.
"Well, I um. I wanted to know if you'll go to dinner with me tomorrow." Tyson sheepishly says. WAS HE ASKING ME ON A DATE!? No. This was too fast.
"Erm. Thanks for the offer, but I told my pa I'd go to the beach with him and my cousins. I'm sorry." I lie.
"Oh. It's ok! Maybe some other time."
"Yeah, well I better go. Dad will kill me." I say. "I'll just walk but thanks for helping me today."
"No problem."

THE NEXT DAY•

I groan as I open my eyes to face the day. Quickly, I pick some clothes and start the bath. It was still 10 so I would take a long bathe.
I strip off my clothes and sink into the warmth. Should I have gone to dinner with Tyson? No, he wants to get me in bed I bet. Also no, he's my friend not a rapist.
After 30 minutes I dry off and put on my clothes. I wear a black tank top under the hoodie Tyson got me. I slip on some skinny jeans and combat boots then dry my hair.
I look in the mirror and realize I had a slice across my face from where the demon had grabbed me yesterday. Oh well I guess. Then I put my makeup on.
"Well. I guess they still hate me." I mumble as I walk into the kitchen. Mum left a not telling me she went out so that she didn't have to see me yet, and dad went to work again.
I grab some eggs and a frying pan to start my breakfast. After 5 minutes my eggs are done and I'm at the table.

•••

I wonder what Tyson is doing. Probably hanging with Jason and Anne. I sit in my room and read for an hour.
It was 8 now and I decide to draw. I sketch out a body and head, not aware of what I had been drawing, I look at the paper.
There, filling the whole paper, was a winged Demon holding a Arebelle Blade. The demon was familiar and I instantly realized I was obsessed. I was drawing Tyson.
I hang the paper on my wall and start to my car. That's when I hear a knock on the door.
I run downstairs, and to the door. As I slowly open the door the same familiar face appears.
"Tyson!?"
"Tanner? I thought you were out at the bea-" He stops. "It's winter."
"Oh. Erm. Let me explain."
"You don't need to. You didn't want to go to dinner and so you made up a ridiculous lie. If you didn't want to go you could have just told me." Tyson growls.
"Wait."
Tyson storms to his car and speeds away.
What have I done.