Chapter 16 Tanner {HighSchool}

School starts today...I'm glad I won't be bullied as much here, considering I'm pretty now.

"Tanner! Are you ready for school? Tyson is waiting for us in the car." Jason asks as he walks in. "Here. I know it's not much but you need something."

Jason hands me a piece of toast. "Thanks." I say and take a bite. Man, this is good.

I walk outside to the car, Anne and Tyson were waiting, as Jason said. Tyson and I haven't talked since the whole pain, fear, and sadness thing.

I'm not mad or anything, I'm just...i don't know. I don't want him to worry, but I want to be left alone so I can get over this faster.

"Hi Tanner!" Anne says.

"Hey." I reply.

Everyone knew that I was upset still, but they try cheering me up. I look at Tyson, but he's glaring at me in the mirror. I quickly turn away, cheeks red.

•••

"Oh my god! Who are those cute boys over there?" Someone says.

"They just moved here! The shorter one is Jason Wels, and the taller one is Tyson Wels. Tyson has a twin too, he's the youngest."

"How do you know so much!?"

"Anne Wels talked to me! She's his twin."

"Lucky!! Is she pretty too!?"

"Yes!"

Ugh. It's weird how much being cute can do. No one I know of has talked about me yet, good.

Of course that could mean I'm a target of bullies again. I do know how to defend myself now though.

When I realized who I really am, my features were flawless. You can still tell that it is me, but I look different, and actually pretty now.

"They all wear dark clothes don't they?" The same girl says.

"Yeah, even the other new one." they point at me. I turn away.

"I'm almost afraid to talk to her, she seems scary."

"Yeah. She does doesn't she."

They keep talking about me, and I leave the class, two minutes before the bell rings.

•••

Finally, schools out. I noticed Anne was getting tired, talking to all the new faces around here. I'm glad no one wants to hurt her, she couldn't protect herself.

"OMG! DO YOU SEE THEM! THEY ARE SO DREAMY!"

I walk over to the noise and see what's going on. Outside, at the park near the school.

"Well maybe you wouldn't loose it if you were more careful." Jason.

"You can't be talking. It's not my fault I left it at home." Tyson.

"That ring is special! We all have one, so be careful with it."

"DO NOT BE SAYING THAT TO ME!"

"Man, you've been easy to piss off since Tanner hurt you. Maybe you shouldn't go and love someone that fast."

"Shut up." Tyson glares at Jason. "That's none of your busin--"

Tyson! Jason punched him! WHAT THE HECK!

"Omg!! So perf!! Be careful you two!!" Girls call from around the circle they've made.

"Let her be alone for a while. I can't blame her. She watched her parents die, then she had to come with almost complete strangers to Washington. She took the smallest room in the house, no one here has even talked to her."

"Jason." I whisper. Everyone was staring at me. "Don't say that out loud."

"I know. I was standing outside. I was to scared to help. I should have gone in there and helped her! Taken her away so she didn't have to watch her parents die. Then see if she had any relatives nearby that she could live with. But I didn't. She watched her parents die, moved here with us, and still has no friends besides us."

They didn't even realize people were watching them did they. I guess they can tune people out easily. And they especially didn't know I was here, watching them.

"I let her watch her parents die, man." Tyson whimpers.

"But without her, all of our family would have died too. She saved me and Anne, and Mum was coming home." Jason reminds him.

"She risked her own life to save ours. And here I am, sitting on the grass, when I could be holding her, helping her. I...I love her." Tyson whispers.

I stand there in shock. Every girl was staring or glaring at me.

"Tyson." I whisper. "I'm...I'm sorry. I'm sorry!"

I run to his side, falling to my knees. I grab him and hug him. "Tanner?" He whispers.

"I love you too. I really do." I cry. His hand was on my head, my face buried in his chest. I was crying, and for the first time ever, I felt a wet tear hit my forehead. Tyson was crying too.

He wipes his eyes and I look up at him. He was smiling at me. I smile back, and for a second, it felt like no one else was here, that nothing but Tyson and I mattered.

"Tanner Scott." Tyson starts. "I need to ask you..."

"Hmm?" I mumble.

"Will you be my girlfriend?" Tyson says.

I sit there, shocked. His words echo in my mind.

Will you be my girlfriend?

"Yeah, I think I can handle that." I reply, snuggled into Tyson's chest. The few girls that were still standing here left, glaring at me.

"There, all made up now." Jason says, he ruffles my hair.

"Yeah." I breath.

•••

Tyson lays next to me in my bed. Its small, but his warmth was comforting. I didn't feel depressed anymore, I felt happy.

I felt like nothing mattered if I was with him.

"Tanner?" Tyson whispers. "You awake?"

"Yeah."

"Try and get some sleep, tomorrow's gonna be hell for us." I laugh.

"I know, and I don't care." I feel Tyson's chest vibrate, but I don't hear his laugh.

"I love you, Tanner."

"I love you too, Tyson."

I carefully wipe a tear of joy away and drift into a dreamless sleep.