Chapter 9: Tyson [The next day]

When I wake up its time for school. Something I didn't want to go to, who knows how many people know what I did last night?
"TYSON. TANNER'S HERE." JASON calls. I rush downstairs, trying not to break open any cuts.
"Hey!" I say. Jason leaves as I give him a dirty look. "I wanted to say I'm sorry about the other night, I shouldn't have left like that. I should have listened to you."
"It's ok, I need to know about you though. Anne told me what you did last night, and by the looks of it they put up a fight. You have cuts and bruises all over your face and you limp. Cmon. I bet you didn't clean anything." Tanner says. The sorrow in her eyes hurt me.
I follow her to my room and sit on the bed while she finds the disinfectant.
"Take off you shirt." She demands.
"You just need to ask and I'm naked alright." I say holding up a hand. I get a glare in return.
"You are so stupid. You know how scared I was when Anne said you were out in allies fighting gangs all night!? I was scared more than I'd like to admit."
Tanner. Why did I feel like this? I knew demons fell in love faster than humans but not this fast.
"I'm sorry. I just. I felt bad for storming off and s-"
"So you took your anger out on humans!? If you were in your demon form they would all be dead right now." She growls. "And if anymore had came out YOU would be dead."
"Tanner I'm sorry. I didn't mean to worry you at all! I didn't know there would be that many people there."
"It was a gang. The Wild Dogs. One of the strongest small gangs around! YOU WENT AFTER THEM BY YOURSELF! You have to be crazy Tyson."
"HOW WAS I-" I stop. Tanner had turned around with tears on her cheeks. Quickly she wipes them away, her face red. "I'm sorry."
"No. I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you." Tanner whispers.
She sits down beside me on the bed and I grab her. She gasps in surprise but hugs my arms. I grabbed around her neck, over her mouth. She lifts her hands and holds onto my arm. I hear her sniffle a few times then let her go.
Red faced, Tanner grabs some cotton balls and dabs my cuts with disinfectant. "Thanks." I say. But Tanner just puts her finger over my mouth and shushes me.
After she's done, I put my shirt on under a sweatshirt. Then some of my jeans. On my feet I wear some converse, of course black.
"You wear black a lot." Tanner laughs. "I wear black a lot too. Black and white."
I smile at Tanner and poke her back. "Let's go. We're gonna be late." I say. Tanner runs past me and starts up stairs.
"Meet you in the car!" She shouts.
"Hey! I have a disadvantage!" I tell back.
I laugh and start up the stairs. "Come on Tyson!" Jason calls. Tanner buckles herself in the back of the car so I jump in and sit with her.

•••

When we walk into school everyone stares at me. I don't pay attention at first so I just go to class.
"Yeah. He was the one who did it. That's why he has to use that crutch." Someone whispers. How did they know.
"Really!? The whole gang! Man. No wonder that Tanner chick hangs by him. He's her personal body guard."
I stare at the two talking and as they see me I speak up.
"How do you know about the gang?" I say. I stand up and walk over to their desks, leaning on the chairs for support.
"You didn't know!? It's all over the news and in magazines! You're a freak around here now. You beat up the strongest small gang in the whole town." A girl replies. I look to my left and see someone familiar in a desk.
"Hey." I mumble as I trip over my own feet. "You're that girl who got kidnapped."
"So what. I could have handled it myself. You didn't have to risk your life for me."
"I didn't do it for you. I did it for Tanner Scott. For our friendship. And you too. But mostly Tanner." I smirk.
"So she's your girlfriend? You don't seem like the guy to date her."
"Naw. Just friends for now."
I stare at a group of girls talking and laughing at me. They stop as soon as they notice me.
"I'm Tyson."
"Lynsey."
I hold out my hand to shake but Tanner walks in. Bruise on her lip already. I scramble over desks and chairs and grab her.
"You okay? What happened." I growl.
"I'm fine. It's okay. It's nothing."
"Tell me Tanner." My voice is stern and worried.
"They said you almost died for me." Tanner cringes. "They showed a news clip and magazine of your little fight."
"I'm sorry. I didn't want this to happen Tanner, I'm so sorry."
"Don't worry. I'm fine." She smiles. My heart races at the sight of her sweet smile. I needed to ask her out to dinner again so that I can talk to her.

•••

"Yo Tanner!" I shout after Tanner. Schools out, bell just rang. Tanner turns around and waves, smile across her face.
"Hi Tyson!" This was it. I had to ask her to dinner tonight. My face falls for a moment then I smile again.
"I know how bad this turned out last time, and I wanted to try again. Also, this isn't a date. Will you just go to dinner with a friend?" I ask. Tanner hesitates at first, then a big smile stretches across her face.
"What time, what attire, and are you picking me up?" My mouth drops for a second, then I smile.
"7, nice, but pretty normal attire, and I'll pick you up." I reply. She said yes. She's trusting me again. This could be my chance. If we enjoy this I can ask her to a date or something. Of course, she hasn't known me long. I've known her weeks longer. I'll let her get to know me for another month, then I'll ask her.
"Tyson?" Tanner says. "You alive?"
"Yeah! Sorry! Thinking about things." I laugh. Tanner joins me.
"I asked if...well I'm going to the store and I wanted to get you a gift. Are you okay with that." She asks. I was totally fine, I had a gift for her already.
"Yeah. That's perfectly alright." I say. She leans into my stomach and I wrap my arm on her shoulder.
"Here's some support!"
"Thanks Tanner. I really appreciate it." I smile.
How was this possible? I had a huge crush on Tanner. Demons fall in love quicker than humans by instinct, but I have to be considerate for this little one. Maybe two weeks and I'll ask her to a date.
Tanner giggles as I get lost in my thoughts again. I smile and playfully punch her arm. My heart beats as she laughs and smiles at me.

Tanner Scott. My best friend. I have a hopeless crush on you.