Hallowed 1

"You know Kim Taehyung?"

"The one interning for Marquez?"

"Uh-huh. Have you noticed anything unusual about him?"

"Like? He looks pretty normal to me."

"Seriously? I bet you haven't tried talking to him. He gives me the creeps."

Overhearing this conversation, just a few meters away is the man himself, Kim Taehyung.

He stood looking at the two employees, still unaware that he's listening to their conversation.

It wasn't intentional though.

All he wanted was to make a coffee for his assigned supervisor but ended up overhearing a conversation with him as the main topic.

It's not like he cared, though.

"Excuse me." Taehyung uttered, making the two jump in surprise, both immediately turning their heads in his direction with their wide eyes.

The look on their faces resemble that of embarrassment... or was it fear? Shame?

Well naturally, if someone was caught red-handed, wouldn't he look afraid or ashamed? Apologetic even?

If only he could read emotions.

"O-oh.. Hey."

The woman who said Taehyung gives her the creeps stuttered while avoiding eye contact.

"Good morning." Taehyung politely greeted, lifting the corners of his mouth into what people call a smile.

He's smiling, isn't he? This is a smile right?

"Hey. Uh.. Do you need something?" the other one asked, eyes focused on Taehyung's face.

"Well, if I could... " Taehyung trailed off, gesturing the brewing machine on the counter.

"Of course." the other woman smiled, moving away to give him space.

"Thank you." Taehyung said as he went ahead and started brewing, not caring about the two who finally went out of his sight.

He heard the last remarks of the women though, before they completely left.

"He seems fine. Nothing unusual."

"Shh! Shut up and hurry the hell out."

The sound of the closing door finally gave Taehyung the chance to drop the smile off his face.

--------

"I'm home."

Taehyung removed his shoes and went inside his home. He heard hurried footsteps coming from the kitchen and then came the face of his older brother.

"I've been waiting for you, kid."

"I could tell Jin-hyung." Taehyung briefly answered, making his way to his brother's open arms, asking for the usual welcome hug.

"And I told you, I'm not a kid anymore." He plainly said.

"Not until you turn 18." Jin remarked as he chuckled.

"That's a month from now, hyung." Taehyung rebutted.

"Still a kid." Jin won't allow him to win the argument.

Taehyung could hear his brother's genuine contagious laugh, and he would have laughed alongside with him... if only he could.

"How's your day?" Jin asked, ruffling Taehyung's hair.

"Just the same." He answered, slowly moving away from Jin.

"And?" the older inquired, wanting to hear the stories his brother would tell about his day.

"Helped Marquez with some codes and documents. Served him his usual coffee. Rode the bus. Arrived home." Taehyung enumerated, which made Jin sigh.

"Okay.. That's pretty much everything, huh?" Jin asked with his soft eyes directed to him.

"Yes, hyung." Taehyung simply answered.

A moment passed by with Jin's eyes staring intently at him, before a soft smile appeared on his lips.

"Well then.. shall we eat? You must be hungry." Jin beamed, pulling Taehyung by the arm towards the kitchen.

"I guess?" Taehyung mumbled.

He watched his brother prepare dinner for the two of them while humming a song he had heard somewhere but couldn't remember.

"Want me to help?" He asked, eyeing Jin's every move.

"Do you want to?"

"I think so?" Taehyung answered as he went near his brother to help.

He was quiet, rummaging through the cabinet for plates and utensils while Jin continued to hum along.

"Did something good happen at work?" Taehyung asked as he placed the plates on the table.

Jin stopped humming and turned to look at the other.

"Why do you ask?" He smiled.

"I don't know. You seem to be happy?" Taehyung said.

Jin's face light up even more from his response.

"You could tell?" He beamed.

"Well.. for one you're humming and swirling around. Plus you're smiling wide. That means you're happy, right?" Taehyung pointed out, sitting on an empty chair.

The smile on Jin's face slowly faded and was replaced by something else. But it was only for a brief moment.

"I am happy." Jin confirmed as he sat next to Taehyung.

"Remember the article I was working on last night?"

Taehyung nodded in response.

"It got good reviews from my editor and will be published on major sites." Jin excitedly shared the good news which earned a smile from Taehyung.

"Congratulations, hyung." He smiled even more.

"Thank you, kid." Jin ruffles Taehyung's hair, enough to cover up the sadness in his eyes as he looked at the smile on Taehyung's face.

A smile by the book, and not by emotions.

-----------

Love you 💜