5. His First Day

We have the robots set up the house to be in livable conditions, such as a bed, or just our furniture in general. The robots move in for us to minimize human stress, because it apparently is really bad for our life span.

I get ready for bed, and climb up the built in ladder to my loft, which now has a mattress on top. I curl in, and the sheets feel fresh and clean, having me fall asleep almost instantly.

The next morning, I got up early to make sure I didn't miss Leo on his first day.

I come downstairs, and my family had the same idea, because everyone, including my brother, were already sitting at the table eating a fried egg and a pancake. "Good morning, Mar." Mom says to me brightly. She scoots out her chair and comes over to me to kiss me on the forehead before going to grab my plate of food. "Here you are," she says, as she goes to sit back down. I also go to sit, and I end up next to dad. "Good morning, kiddo." He says, and gives me a careful hug so I wouldn't drop my plate. "Morning." I say, situating myself at the table. "What time is work?" I ask Leo. "7:30, he barely manages to say with a mouth full of pancake. I nod.

After a hearty breakfast, I sit on the couch with my eyes closed. I open them briefly after about five minutes, to see that mom was sitting beside me. "I'm worried too," her words came out flat. "What?" I ask in a rather disoriented way. "You were right. In the car? This isn't right." She looks at me now. "Yeah, something is off," I look down and set my hands on my legs. "We have to find out, we can't wait until Leo is literally their pawn." Mom frowns. I nod in agreement.

He comes down the stairs, and my mom hugs him while whispering "be careful."

He went on to work, on his very first day. After spending years of his life, his dream finally came true.

I have a bad feeling about it, but I've said that all along. Whether I like it or not, he is his own person, and we can't make choices for him. He knows the risks.

I gazed out the window, looking at the townhouses beside me, which I hadn't noticed before. I guess it isn't all apartments then. I then see some kids ride by on their bikes. "Hey mom," I call. "May I go talk to the other kids?"

"Sure, just be safe." She says, cleaning the dishes, even though there is an automatic way to do it. She says she doesn't trust the government made robot to clean what she eats off of.

I go outside, but I remember I'm not dressed, so I head back inside.

I change into what I think looks somewhat trendy, and go outside to the kids. "Hi, I'm Mar, I just moved in." "Hey there, I'm Ella, this is Jackie, that's Emara, and that's Declan." "Nice to meet you, what are you up to?" I ask, even though I can guess a bit of what they are doing. "Riding our bikes to the cafe, want to come with us?" She asks. "Sure, let me go grab my bike." They seemed genuine enough. I got my bike, and rode up to them. "Cool bike." They say.

We ride off to the cafe, and I follow them because I have no clue where it is. "Here we are," Ella says. She seemed to be the most talkative of the bunch.

We park our bikes and walk inside. "Hello, welcome." A tall man says. I was so surprised that it wasn't a robot, and that it was an actual human being.

"Hi, may I get a cherry soda?" Ella says, and motions towards Emara. "Root beer float please."

Everyone ordered, and it came to me. "Vanilla cream soda please." I say. "Coming right up," the man says, pouring the soda almost immediately.

Everyone receives their order, and we all take a sip in sync.

"Good choice, newbie," Ella laughs, "I used to order that all the time." "Is the Cherry soda good?" I ask her. "Yeah, I found that it's a bit more refreshing, since we ride our bikes so much."

We ride our bikes back after we drink our sodas, and I said goodbye. They waved goodbye, and I said I'd see them tomorrow.

I went inside our house, and told my mom all about it. That reminds me, Ella payed, I'll have to pay her back tomorrow. "Sounds great!" Mom smiles. She seems to be happy that I've made friends.

I sit down in my room, and text Jenny.

Me: Hey
Jenny: Hey
Me: Day was cool & Leo went to work
Jenny: That's good
Jenny: good luck Leo
Me: I'm nervous for him
Jenny: same gtg
Me: Bye

She may have just been busy.
I'll text her later when Leo is home.

Hours went by, but he finally came home. "Hello hello?" He comes in. I ran up and gave him a hug. "Heya!" He says. "Want to play a game?" I ask him as I jump up and down. "Game? No thank you. I have to go work."

That was strange. He never acts like that. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt as assume that he may just be overwhelmed with his new job responsibilities.

I once again message Jenny.

Me: Leo got home, he's acting weird
Read 7:33 PM

Maybe she's still busy.

I went upstairs and went to sleep without dinner. I didn't feel very good with Jenny already not seeming to be as active with me and Leo acting peculiar.