14. Split

Red pointy horns attached to Stephanie's blonde haired head. "Oh gosh..." I smack my hand over my mouth in shock. "My wings, are they there?" She asks, barely conscious. "Uh- n-no...you have horns...what have you done?" My eyes are wide and concerned. I step backwards and tap on the others but they don't wake up. "Guys?" I say. She walks towards me. "They won't be waking up." She cackles.

I run as fast as I can to the wall. I couldn't go to Burrville, and I apparently couldn't go to Claude Valley. I'd have to make my way to Necari and out to the outskirts. Necari had a name that basically meant to be killed, but it was fairly safe. Home to the bland.

I'm winded and panting. I jump for the wall, Stephanie close behind. "Please!" I beg. Suddenly my wings flap with determination and I've lifted off the ground. "Come back here!" Stephanie growls and yells. I don't know how to control them, so I inch my way somehow towards Necari.

I drop down. "Ow..." I groan.

"Who do you happen to be?" A person asks. Tears in my eyes. "Marlow." I wipe away the streaming tears and barely manage to speak with a giant lump in my throat. "Why are you crying?" They ask. "My friend just got murdered." I sniffle. "That is unpleasant." They say. I hate how bland the people of Necari are. "I'm just passing through, I'm trying to get to the outskirts." I tell them. "I am Ani." "Hi." I speedily say, continuing to walk forward. I am not interested in making another relationship to be ruined. "Why are you walking away?" "To get to the outskirts." "Why?" "To get away from the corrupted government." I moan unhappily.

"Why are they corrupted?" "Because they are."

"Let me take you to the shelter." Ani monotonously spoke.

"No thank you, I'm good." My stomach growled, even though I had eaten food and drank water recently. I still was hungry. Berries weren't the most filling.
It must be strange to hear someone with so much personality compared to them.

"Come with me." Ani reached his dark brown hand out.

I sighed and gave in. I figure a break was in order after being chased by an angry mob, having people be killed, and someone trying to kill you.

When I came inside, everyone was wearing headpieces and I was instantly given one. "Thank you." I slightly bow forward.

They nod, and move back to their place, hands forward and connected.

It was a turban like hat with golden chain strung across the front of my face. There were little moon charms dangling from the thin chain. I feel spiritually connected and oddly safe. I took my seat in a red crushed velvet chair. The food was served shortly after. Giant silver bowls came whisking out with wide ladles. Each person got their own soup bowl. Suddenly a tall man in white robes comes up to the stage. "Boys and girls, please enjoy the food. It's been blessed." He bows and exits the stage. People clap and start digging in very gracefully. I apprehensively lower my spoon into the bowl, it dipped in and the silky soup easily filled it up. I carefully place the spoon in my mouth. The flavors burst in my mouth. It was rich and spiced. The soup rolled down my throat, instantly stopping the raw throb it had previously had.

I feel warm and toasty. I sit for about half an hour before the clean up begins. "Please miss, right this way to the hotel rooms." Ani leads me up the grand staircase. It looks like a mansion all on one floor.

I feel fuzzy and calm once again. "If only Taylor were here to see this." I sigh. I don't know how to feel upset right now. Just like that, when things started going my way, I was split apart from them. Even if I don't really like Devin and Ellie, they didn't deserve to die.

My wings seemed to catch the attention of others. There was no hiding my Clinia origin now. I see people leaning over to one another, left and right, raising their hands to whisper about me. That calm feeling sinks out of me like water dripping. Those people in the halls just lined up across the wall to watch me walk through are not welcoming. It feels like middle school rumors and drama all over again.

The people around me start to split, leaving me completely in the middle, unsure of where to go, but always being watched on my way there. I don't know if these people have enough thought to even consider the fact I'm being idiotic and lost in the large upper hallway, or even if they'd care. I feel like they are doing this to watch my misery.

I take steps forward and look back to find that Ani has joined the crowd. I wonder if this is some spiritual way of 'choosing the room that feels best to you'.

I attempt to open a door but the large crowd clusters around it, blocking my path. "Ok then." I hold out my words.
Unsure, I reach for the doorknob of another, and they don't cut me off this time, but simply gasp. "What?" "That's Gohchohan's room." Ani's eyes widen. I've heard of the great Gohchohan. He acts as a living god but he's not quite a king either. His followers worship him as if he's saved them every five seconds. I always admired their loyalty from afar but this is just odd.

"Where do you want me to go?" I finally ask, growing tired of this game. "The one on the left." One of them scoffs as if it were obvious. I look over and notice that the people along the walls trailed towards the room as a giant arrow. I groan.

Now aware of the obvious shape they'd formed, I follow along and open the door without a problem. I go in, slightly embarrassed and wishing to be away from Necari.

"Hello?"