9. Taylor Motts

Taylor Motts had dark brown skin and large poofy black hair. She also had the most beautiful and in depth silver eyes I'd ever seen in my life.

"I'm Marlow Lance- I mean Mar Lance."

She giggled at my response. "Well Marlow Mar, you can come inside. This is a shelter so that the evil ones can't get inside."

Taylor Motts, I knew that name.

Duh, that's right, that's the girl Jenny lied to me about.

I wasn't angry at her, but it still brought back some upsetting memories.

"Thanks. Jenny, she-"
"Shhh, I know." Taylor silenced me. She had a very smooth voice, and it was rather calming. She seemed a bit older, like fifteen going on sixteen.

That reminds me, my fifteenth birthday is in a few months.

"My friend Emara was taken too, as well as her friend group, my big brother, my parents now probably, and Jenny's mom."

"The government is horrible." Taylor grunts.

"I agree, I've said it for years." I hand her my board.

"Wowza," her grey eyes widen, "that is a lot of good stuff."

"Thanks." I tell her.

"Let's get you inside." She looks around, opening the barbed gate, leading to a winding path. It was narrow and barren, yet clustered all the same. I felt stuck, or like I was going to fall over at any given moment. We came up to a door with a little slit at the top. Taylor knocked three times, and a man's eyes appeared when it slid away with a little shuk. "Password?" He asked. "You know it's me, I'm back from patrolling." She sighs. "Passwords won't help, the clones keep their memories. You need to see if they'd be acting blank or if they tell you something they ordinarily wouldn't." I look at them both, one of which was only eyes. "You can come in." He opens the door slowly to my surprise. I guess my information was proof enough.

That, or they have a very specific password that I somehow managed to guess.

It looked like an old tavern inside with Vikings. People with pitchforks, people with weapons, yet others drinking a large beer. It had torch lights that lit up the whole wooden room. "We don't really like technology because we don't trust it. The government watches far too closely." Taylor bobs her head to the side which had all the anti technology people. "We don't allow it here." The man who let us in said gruffly.

"I don't think I have any, besides my phone, but it's an old phone." I grab my phone out of my shallow pocket, and tilt it side to side to present the age.

"I think that'll be fine." Taylor scrunches up her face and nods as if asking for agreement with the man. He didn't seem to take the hint, so she just pressed on forward.

"You'll be of good use to us." She raises her arms and drops them as she spins around the room, avoiding the benches with sitting people. "How so?" I ask, still dazed by her beauty. "Well you seem to know a lot, and any person helps." She smiles as she comes up to me and grabs my hands. She lets go and starts to walk ahead to another room. She stops a minute and lifts up her hand. She bends her finger towards her as a "come here".

I realize, and start forward, speed walking to catch up.
We are taken to an empty hallway that seems to go practically silent from the loud cacophony from the other room. The floor squeaked, and the brass designs along the wall twisted, almost like an illusion.

I begin to feel a little dizzy, but it's abruptly stopped when we finally reach the end of the hall. "This shall be your room, the best in the house for head of intelligence, or our commander." She opens the door. It reveals a vintage room that was widely spaced and simple. It was wonderful. I had never been so excited. No more technology to worry about, just a normal room. "Thank you!" I tell her, the excitement like lightning in my stomach. I jump up and give her a big hug. "Aw, don't worry, you're safe now." Taylor hugs me back, patting my head like Leo used to.

She tells me that she'll come back later to give me meeting details. For the time being, I sit down on the rocking chair with a quilt and a patchy pillow. The colors conflicted yet I loved it. Red, yellow, green, and purple. The paintings on the wall looked old, they had women in long black dresses with buttons and bonnets. The frame was golden and shiny.

The white walls were glossy and yet somehow comforting.

I sat down for hours staring at Jenny's contact in my phone. I miss her so much.