Chapter 5: My New Friend

Monday after Budo and Taro walked home

When Taro closed the front door after saying goodbye to Budo, he was greeted with Hanako running up to him and hugging him.

"Welcome back, big brother! How was school?" She was clinging onto Taro, trying to drag him to the living room. But Taro was able to release his arm from her grip.

"It was good, Hanako, but I've got a lot of homework to do, so I'm afraid I can't play with you right now." Taro said. He walked up the stairs to his room, trying to ignore Hanako's puppy-begging face.

When he got to his room, he closed the door and immediately threw himself onto his bed. For reason he cannot explain, Budo was the only thing Taro could think about at the moment.

Taro would be lying if he said he didn't enjoy Budo's company. But he didn't know if he enjoyed his company more than Osana's. Taro and Osana have been friend since childhood, but with the constant rude attitude, it made him believe that their friendship was starting to break.

But in the meantime... Taro and Budo's friendship was starting to grow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tuesday Morning

As usual, Ayano watched her Senpai walk to school. Fortunately, Budo wasn't with him. Unfortunately, Osana was with him. She was yelling at him for walking home with Budo instead of her yesterday. Ayano just wished Budo and Osana could both disappear from this world, so she could walk and talk with Taro alone.

As she heard Osana chewing Taro out, Ayano hid behind a bush close to the two childhood friends.

"I can't believe you ditched me to walk with that martial artist!" Osana yelled. Her face was red from jealousy.

Taro didn't feel like dealing with Osana's hostility today, especially because he told her that he was walking with Budo yesterday. "I didn't ditch you, Osana. I told you that I was walking home with Budo yesterday. And it was only one time."

"Humph!" Osana grunted as she crossed her arms. She couldn't believe Taro was already calling Budo by his first name.

Taro sighed until he noticed Budo entering the school. His mood immediately brightened up and he blushed a little seeing the martial artist confidently walk into the school. Osana noticed his sudden change in mood and blushing, and looked over at what he was looking at. She felt her jealousy build up as she watched her crush give goo-goo eyes to someone else.

Ayano also noticed the way her Senpai looked at Budo, and clenched her fist. She needed to get rid of Budo fast.

"Look, I'm sorry that I walked with Budo instead of you, Osana. But he's my new friend, and I may walk home with him more. If it bothers you so much, you can walk home with us." Taro offered. Osana widened her eyes. She'd rather cut all her hair off than walk home with the both of them.

"Ugh! Just forget it!" Osana yelled. She stomped off, leaving Taro feeling a little guilty.

Budo heard Osana yelling from the lockers, and looked over to see her angrily stomping away from Taro. Budo wondered what made Osana so upset, but he smiled at Taro's presence. When Taro walked to the lockers, he was greeted with Budo waving at him.

"Good morning, Taro. How are you?" Budo smiled.

Taro smiled back. "Morning, Budo. Um... well I just got yelled at by Osana, but other than that, I'm doing good."

"Did something happen between you two?" Budo asked concerned. Taro didn't feel like Budo should feel guilty for making Osana being upset. It wasn't even his fault anyway.

"Don't worry about it. It's just a small fight we'll make up later." Taro waved his hand, signaling Budo to not worry. Budo nodded.

"Hey, Taro, do you wanna have lunch together?" Budo asked. Taro felt his cheeks blush from Budo's offer.

"Uh, yeah sure." Taro smiled. Budo smiled back at him.

Tuesday Lunchtime

Taro and Budo were enjoying their lunch together while discussing about random topics. Anyone could see that they really enjoy each other's company. Especially Ayano and Osana.

"Ugh! It's not fair, Raibaru! I've known Taro practically my whole life yet he ditched me for that loud martial artist! And what's worse is that they seem to be really close." Osana sighed.

Raibaru looked over Osana's shoulder, and noticed the look Budo was giving Taro. She had never seen Budo look at anyone the way he looks at Taro. It wasn't his usual friendly smile he gave everyone, it was an adoring, genuine smile. Raibaru could tell right there that Budo was indeed in love with Taro. However, she didn't know if she should tell Osana. This seems to really affect her.

Budo and Taro were laughing together, and Budo didn't even notice when he scooted closer to Taro. Taro did notice and blushed.

"So, Budo..." Taro spoke. Budo looked over to Taro. "Would you like to come to my house after school?"

Budo felt his heart flutter. "Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes! Yes!" His mind was screaming, but he refrained himself from getting too excited.

"Sure. I'd love to." Budo smiled. He then looked behind Taro to see Osana. "But... won't Osana be mad?"

"Like I said, don't worry about. We'll make up later. It's just that... you're my friend now, and I want to spend time with you." Taro hid the blush forming on his cheeks, but Budo noticed and mimicked his blushing.

The two continued eating their lunches. Looking forward to spending time together after school.