Friends

It was nearly a week later, a day before Thia and Ellie were to leave Teddy's house, that Thia could finally go and visit the house again. This time, Ellie stayed with Teddy and Thia ventured forth alone.

As she pushed open the door, her eyes fell again to the notes on the floor. She scooped them up, closing the door again as she moved to sit on the front steps. Inside might need to wait, Thia mused, stroking Cosette's ears.

She turned her attention back to the notes. Some were written on lined paper, others on sticky notes, and still more on parchment paper, like she used at Hogwarts. Turning so her back leaned against the handrail, she began to read.

~

Dad said we're moving. To Australia. Says work will be better there, that he'll get paid more. I'm scared, Thia. What if everyone makes fun of my accent? - Penny (7/7/77)

Happy Christmas, Thia. I hope there's lots of snow wherever you are. And hot cocoa with marshmallows. Especially the mini ones you like so much. - Jeremy (25/12/71)

Ten years, 5 months, and 4 days. That's how long you've been gone. I know I don't write as much as I did. But I can't help but wonder whether it's worth it. It's obvious you're gone. So why do I still feel like you're here? - Beau (April 29th, '81)

It's been eight years to the day. Eight birthdays, eight Christmases, eight Boxing Days. What happened to you? Where are you? The police never found your body, so we don't know that you're dead. Beau and Penny both say you are. Dori, Jeremy, and I keep hoping. I don't think they believe it anyway. - Frank (25-12-78)

Mum says we're moving to Ottery St. Catchpole. "New opportunities," she says. I think it's because she's tired of the memories here. Too painful. She said we'll come back to visit Grandma as much as we can. I don't know how I feel about it all. I don't if I'm ready to say goodbye.
- Beau (June 3rd, '75)

It's getting lonely on this street, Thia. Beau and Aspen both moved away. Frank and I are the only ones who seem to remember you. Beau comes back every summer though. Still writes you these letters too, although I don't know if he ever slips them under the door like I do. - Jeremy (14/10/79)

Mummy says this helps. Writing what I want to tell you down. She said you went away. Where did you go, Thia? - Penny (20/2/71)

~

In total, there were almost 3,400 notes (yes, she counted them all), written over a period of 16 years. The majority came from Jeremy, although Beau had written a lot too. Penny's stopped after '77, when she moved, and Frank's stopped six years ago. Jeremy and Beau's, however, never did stop, with the most recent being one from Jeremy a week ago.

Thia's eyes drifted from the notes to the house next door, the one Emily had said was Jeremy's. Should she visit? How would he react? Would he be like Beau? She decided she would rather try going inside the house first.

Tucking the cards into her pocket, she stood, calling Cosette to her side. As she pushed open the door, she exhaled softly. Nothing here can hurt you, she told herself, They're just memories. Pieces of the past.

She flicked the light switch, and a warm glow filled the hallway. The walls were lined with pictures, all of which seemed to be from Christmas. The first featured a five-year-old Thia, grinning toothily as her parents swung her by her arms. The second was her at four, surrounded by wrapping paper.

Then her at three, hugging two people she assumed were her grandparents. Her at two, asleep on the couch. One, settled on her mother's hip and chewing on a teething ring. And then the last one.

She was wrapped in a yellow blanket, settled in the arms of a blonde girl who looked to be about seven. Around them was another child, maybe five, with flaming red hair. Behind them stood a woman with the same red hair and Thia's father. Her aunt and cousins, Thia supposed.

Thia turned away, turning on more lights so she could peer into the living room. It was a simplistic affair, with a grey couch and bookshelves with empty bottom shelves. She moved into the kitchen, which had a similar simplicity to the living room. The cupboards were bare and the counters empty.

She was just about to venture upstairs when there was a knock. Cosette touched her hand, and Thia ruffled her fur with a smile.

"It's alright, Cosette. Just someone at the door." Thia passed the pictures again, her eyes catching on the little redhead for a moment. She shook it off as she reached the door. Peeking through the window, she saw a man, although he was backlit by the setting sun. Thia drew her wand, hiding it behind her leg before opening the door.

"Can I help you?" She leaned against the door, studying the man. He was only a few inches taller than her, with messy brown hair and green-grey eyes.

"Thia?" His voice was barely above a whisper, "Is it really you?" She nodded, slipping her wand back into its holster. And suddenly she was brought into a crushing hug, one that made Cosette growl. Thia squeezed her eyes shut, focusing on her breathing as the man released her, staring wide-eyed at the golden doodle. He took in the harness that declared her a service animal, and the grip that stood up from it.

Cosette nudged Thia's hand until she dropped to one knee, letting Thia wrap her arms around her. In, out, she reminded herself, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

Once her breathing was under control, she stood again, looking the man in the eyes.

"I'm really sorry. Are you okay?" The amount of guilt in his voice made Thia laugh slightly.

"Yeah. I just don't do well with sudden touch," she rubbed a hand over her eyes, "I'm sorry, but who are you? My memories from before are pretty scattered."

"Oh," he chuckled, "I'm Jeremy. Sorry, I get overexcited pretty easily."

"It's good to see you, Jeremy." Thia leaned against the door again, "What can I do for you?"

"Ah," he rubbed the back of his neck, "When Emily gave me the news, that you were here, I had to see for myself. I was about to head over to Teddy's when I saw the lights on over here. Can I interest you in a cuppa?"

Thia checked her watch, "Sure. I've got to be back to Teddy's in an hour, though."

She turned off the lights and locked the door before following Jeremy over to his house. Behind his back, she cast a spell to reveal her prosthetics. It was easier that way. 

~

"Where have you been? What happened?" Thia laughed at his enthusiasm, cradling a cup of tea in her hands.

"I'd rather not go into detail about what happened. That year was really traumatic for me," Thia took a sip of her tea, resting a hand on Cosette's head, "My parents both died and I had to have my arm and leg amputated. I went to live with my godmother. She works at a boarding school, and I lived there until I was old enough to attend. I went there for seven years, and now I'm studying to be a psychologist."

"I'm sorry," Jeremy said. An awkward silence stretched between them. Finally, he asked, "Emily said you had a niece?"

Thia nodded, "She's not my biological niece, but her mother was practically my sister. They passed away a few years ago, so her godfather and I are raising her."

"How old is she?"

"She turned five in July." She laughed, "Although you'd think she was older, the way she acts. A mini grown-up, she is."

"You know, Amos has an eight-year-old, now," Jeremy said, standing up to grab a picture frame. He set it down in front of her, tapping a little boy, "Brightest kid I've ever met. Really sweet too."

"What's his name?" Thia studied the boy. He had longish brown hair, grey eyes, and a smile so bright it seemed to glow. Watching the picture, she could have sworn the kid winked at her.

"Cedric."