Chapter 19

" You sure you can travel with those injuries?" Smokescreen asked Val with concern. These kids recover pretty quickly, but he's not sure if that should be a good thing.

" Perhaps you should stay another day." Ratchet offered and all eyes (and optics) were on him. " Those injuries you've each sustained could be more serious than what it seems."

" That's appreciated but the Light should help cleanse me enough and I don't think we'd wanna stay too long for more anomalies to show up." Val told them.

" Still, you should rest plenty when you get to the other side." June advised him. " You too." She said, looking over to Erudina and Nella.

" We're fine but thanks." Nella said with a bright smile as Eru nodded with a soft look.

" Alright people, the animals are going through first, you got five minutes to say your goodbyes." Fowler announced as the Forest Elder guided the mantas and butterflies through the portal.

" Pair up, Eden's a bumpy ride but always easier with a buddy. Me, Nella and Aiden can guide maybe two at a time in there." Erudina said to the sky kids. Patch fidgeted uncomfortably as she winced at every flash.

" First time?" End asked her and the sky kid nodded. " I can guide you." She offered and held out her hand, Patch latched on immediately. Hyde and Sunshine paired up while Weslen insisted to help Val.

" Fox." Knockout called her and she turned to meet his optics. " About yesterday, I...How are you okay with this?" He gestured to Eden. " The more often you go, the more chances you'll be more corrupted."

" Eru is going to retire soon. She'll be more actively investigating anomalies rather than Eden Runs." Patch held her hand tighter. " Someone has to take over."

" Take over? On murdering others?" He said purposely for others to hear. Erudina didn't move.

" If I didn't then the corrupted will kill so many others. 206. That was his kill count." She muttered. Arcee looked down at Erudina, a soft accepting look on her face. She did what she had to.

" This is why we're called Ends, kids." Erudina didn't look away from the door. " It's not that we meet the End repeatedly. It's that we are the End to some. We're the End of a life, others or our own."

" We're the End of darkness." Nella began to recite the vow. " We are the hunters."

" And with us, we put the shadows to rest." End finished as she looked down. " I know what I signed up for, Owl eyes. We all did. That's why so many Wasteland guides turn away after seeing the conditions. A Wasteland guides' vows are different. We guide the remaining light, protect those in fright."

" We shelter them from the dark." Weslen continued. " From the shadows."

" From monsters in and out." Val finished.

" Light in our song, to lift those who suffer from their sorrows." Hyde recited her vows.

" We guide the pure, through each light." Aiden began.

" We show them the hope that is the Light." Sunshine finished.

" Beauty on its own, a delight." Val recited with a chuckle. " To share, not to hide."

" Though silent, the world speaks." Perry hummed. " It sings."

" Knowledge is a gift, a story." Arch said thoughtfully. " For us to guard and share."

The children shared a look among themselves, understanding of what it meant to uphold those vows. The duties they each carried. The Wasteland Elder smiled proudly at them beneath his mask as he gathered the flowers carefully in his arms before going through the portal.

" I guess this is goodbye then." Wheeljack said to them.

" I guess. It was nice meeting you." Weslen nodded to him. " Oh, and my name's Leo." He said with a smile.

" Jadyz." Val gave a short bow to Smokescreen despite his injuries. Nella took them both by the hand and guided them through.

" Aristia. You can call me Tia next time." Hyde said as she looked up to Ultra Magnus.

" I will, Tia."

" Felix!" Sunshine beamed up at Bumblebee. " I'll send you a note somehow. I'll find a way!"

" I'm sure you will." Bumblebee chuckled. They waved goodbye as they stepped through.

" My name is Sept." Arch said with an exchanged nod to Ratchet. " It was wonderful meeting you." Ratchet muttered something before smiling.

" I'm Miri. It was nice meeting you." Patch bowed a little to the medic.

" It's been...an eventful few days. It was nice meeting you both as well." He smiled softly.

" Oh, it's just Jeane." Perry said casually to Arcee. " I might help Felix look for a way to communicate with you, so look out!"

" Will do, kid." Arcee chuckled softly as she took Erudina's hand hesitantly and with Sept on the other gloved hand, they walked through.

" Owl eyes, I mean Knockout." Reed began. " The red corruption can't be cured like blue can. But I'll try avoiding getting corrupted anymore and-"

" It's alright, Reed." It's part of your vows and I understand. Some things must be done." Reed looked back at him with a smile and started to humm a familiar melody, holding Patch close, the moth continued the song.

" I promise, we'll find a way to visit." She smiled brightly before stepping through, singing without fear against Eden. The door changed, from the deep dark red skies, it was a vast dark sky. Stars littered the area as the Vault Elder prepared to leave. The song had carried on, a chorus of voices singing from beyond the door.

" Thank you." She bowed to them as she prepared to close the door. " For everything." The voices dimmed into hums as the door closed before the sounds stopped abruptly at the soft thud of the stone doors closing.