Chapter 13: Adora

Something has been...off with Catra lately. And every time I try and bring the subject up, she changes it.

I lace her fingers with mine as we walk down the hallway to first period.

Her eyes are trailed down onto her Doc Martens. Instead of her usual cocky demeanor, she is quieter and snarkier than anything.

And that...well that scares the hell out of me.

I spot Bow and Glimmer, resting against their lockers.

I feel my face grow warm and I drop Catra's hand. My heart breaks a little when I see her face fall.

As much as I'd love to hold her hand in front of them...it's just not possible. I'm not even out to them. And they could tell Miss.Weaver.

We approach them. Glimmer's arms are crossed over her chest; a smug smile on her face.

Oh no.

"Don't think for a minute that I didn't see that." She says; smirking.

I rub the back of my neck.

Play dumb.

"Uh, see what?"

Too dumb.

She points to our hands. "You two were holding hands! So, are you guys like a thing now?"

"No! Of course not! We are just friends." Catra; crosses her arms over her chest and scoffs.

What is up with her?

Bow shakes his head and puts his arm around Glimmer's shoulders. Her face turns beet red. I suppress a giggle.

"Whatever you say, Adora." He chuckles and then leads Glimmer down the hall.

"Catra, I- "I trail off as she walks right past me and down the hallway.

I sit on a very worn-down bench as I wait for Catra to get out of class. As soon as I see her, I rush over to her.

Her shoulders are slumped; her gaze trailed on the cobble-stone tiles that line the walkway up to the school.

I rush up to meet her.

"Hey, Catra!" She spots me and rolls her eyes picking up her pace.

I feel my heart sink.

I finally catch up to her. For somebody so short, she sure can walk fast.

She picks up the pace. And without thinking I grab her wrist. She jerks it back and whirls around to face me.

"Don't touch me, Adora!" I take a step back; her tone makes me jump.

"I-I'm sorry. Catra, what's been going on with you lately?" She crosses her arms over her chest and rests all of her weight on one leg.

"I could ask the same of you, Adora." I shake my head.
"What do you mean?" She rolls her eyes.

"Oh, don't play coy with me. I know how you really feel." I furrow my brows.

"I-I don't- "She cuts me off.

"You drop my hand whenever your friends are anywhere near you, you lie about our relationship, and you push me away when I try to help you."

I feel my face grow brighter. A crowd of people have stopped to watch the scene going down.

"Catra, can we not do this here?" Her eyes fill with rage.

"Why, Adora? Because your embarrassed? Because you don't want people to know that the picture perfect Adora is dating a poor troublemaker, who bounces from foster home to foster home?"

A chorus of gasps and "oooooohs" sound from the crowd behind us.

My eyes brim with tears.

Why would she do this?

"Catra, that's not why." She shakes her head and laughs a little.

"Oh, yeah? Then tell me what the real reason is." The blood drains from my face. Telling her would mean my secret getting out...and my secret getting out would mean all hell breaking loose.

"I...I...." I trail off; finding nothing to fill the silence. And for a moment I think that I see a hint of sorrow in her eyes. Her expression softens.

She seems to connect the dots.

"Adora, let me help you please." The words are not harsh like the former ones she uttered instead they are soft and genuine. A few tears fall down my cheeks; I quickly wipe them away.

"Catra, you can't." She moves forwards and puts her hands on my shoulders.

"I can, Adora! You can't stay there." She says in a rushed whisper. Her eyes search mine and it takes everything in me to remember that we are in a public place and not to pull her into a kiss.

But I have to protect her and she is so stubborn. I have to protect and that means that I have to break.

"You know how you can help me, Catra?" Her eyes meet mine and the hope that shines in them tears my heart in half.

"By staying away." And with those words I feel my heart shatter into a million pieces.

Tears spill down her cheeks. With one last look, she walks off; her clenched fists lying at her side.

I keep my eyes trained to the ground as I walk back home; feeling so much worse then I did when the day began.

Sorry guys. This was a really sad chapter to write.

I hope that you are all doing well!

-Ally Rutson