Chapter 18: Catra

After one tiresome week, I get released. With quite a few regulations of course.

I can't stay home alone until I get "stable". I can't drive. I have to take my meds on time. And yada yada.

I sit in the back of Angelle's van; arms crossed over my chest. I try to mask my emotions and keep it cool. But Glimmer has been teasing me all day about going to see Adora. But to be honest I am anything but cool and calm.

I am a nervous wreck.

She didn't seem mad when we spoke on the phone but...what if she is? She's the one who found me...what if she's mad at me for trying to leave her?

Nerves rack my body from head to toe; causing my hands to be clammy and way too shaky for my liking.

Adora.

Everything about her fills my mind. Her alluring blue eyes seem to pierce through my soul. Her smooth Ivory skin always holds the soft scent of lavender, and lastly, her soft and silky hair holds the memory of buttercups in the springtime.

I look up from my hands. It takes me a minute to see that Glimmer is staring straight at me; her lips formed into a smug smirk.

"Like what you see, Sparkles?" Her cheeks turn pink. I chuckle. She crosses her arms over her chest.

"Thinking about your girlfriend, eh?" I shoot her a glare.

"I do not like her." She laughs.

"Suuuuuuure, ya don't." I feel my face heat up, but I am not going to let her win that easily. I open my mouth to deliver a killer comeback but she cuts me off.

"She likes you too, ya know?" My eyes shoot up to meet hers. I feel my heart skip a beat at her words.

Adora's words replay in my head.

"You know how you can help me, Catra? By staying away."

My eyes fall down to my lap and without even thinking about it, I feel my sharp nails pierce my skin.

My breathing starts to grow faster. My heart rate picks up.

Adora doesn't want me. Adora doesn't want me. Adora doesn't want me.

All of a sudden it feels like the walls are closing in on me and my lungs are gasping for air.

I'm drowning again.

Glimmer's laughter dies down.

My nails dig into my thighs.

I'm drowning.

"Hey, Deep breaths. Deep breaths. Just like Purfuma taught you. Your safe."

I do my exercise; eyes shut tight. After a few long minutes, my grip releases from my thighs, and I feel my body relax.

"I can feel you staring at me, Sparkles," I say; through gritted teeth. I open my eyes to find Sparkles observing me; a worried look plastered onto her face.

"You okay?" I take another deep breath.

"I am now...thanks," I smirk; trying to change the subject.

"Were you worried about me, Sparkles?" She scoffs.

"What? No." I chuckle; bringing a smile to her face.

"Look, if you die of a panic attack my mom will be so pissed-"

"Glimmah! Language." Glimmer winces and turns back around in her seat.

I look down at my legs; bruises line my thighs.

Why did I wear shorts?

My head jerks up when the car stops.

Anxiety clutches at my chest. Thoughts of uncertainty creep inside my head.

Everything is going to be fine. Deep breaths, estúpida, deep breaths.

"Are you sure you want to stay here alone?" Angelle asks.

I nod and thank her before getting out of the car.

I raise my trembling hand. Then I put it back down.

I can do this.

I raise my hand once again and prepare to knock.

The door flings open right as my hand meets the wood.

"Ah, you must be Catra!" A peculiar yet familiar figure stands in front of me; hands clasped before them and a huge mischievous grin.

I nod and cross my arms over my chest.

"And you must be Double Trouble." They nod; their smile stretching wider.

"ADORA! COME DOWN HERE, DARLING!"

Darling?

The second that I see her my breath hitches and every witty comment dies in my throat.

Instead of her usual dorky ponytail, she wears her hair in a loose braid. She sports light grey sweat pants and a rose-colored crop-top. She rubs her eyes.

After about two minutes of watching Adora wake up she looks over to me.

Her eyes widen.

Please don't be angry.

I take a deep breath.

She rushes over to me.

"Catra!"

The hug that she gives me almost sends us both to the ground.

Before I can respond, she drops the embrace.

"Oh shoot, I'm sorry." I hug my arms to my chest; feeling strangely cold after she pulls away.

"Oh, it's...it's fine."

I almost cringe at the awkward silence that falls between us.

A/N: I'm so sorry. I know this chapter sucked. Writer's block for my detail and plot has been pretty rude. So, yeah. Thanks for reading, voting, and giving me your feedback.

Hope you are all doing well!

-Ally Rutson