Chapter 22: Catra

TW: DESCRIPTIONS OF DOMESTIC ABUSE.

I feel my heart sink. She's going to tell me that she's leaving again. I lace her fingers with mine and prepare for the worst.

Tears fill those beautiful eyes of hers and I wish I could do more to comfort her. But, I don't wanna push any boundaries.

She takes a deep breath and runs a hand through her golden hair. And without even thinking I twirl a piece around my finger. She smiles at me.

"My...my dad came back."

Oh. That's not what I was expecting.

I don't remember much about Adora's dad. I remember that he was nice and funny. And he was an amazing storyteller.

But...after Adora's mom died, she seemed more...hesitant around him. Scared that if she made a wrong move, something would happen.

"That's...good?" Her face falls and tears start to pour like a river down her face. I pull her into an embrace; her head against my chest. Her tears soak through my shirt but I could care less. I stroke her soft hair and plant kisses on the top of her head.

"Hey, it's okay," I whisper. She nods but I know that she doesn't really believe it. After a while, her body stops trembling and she rests her head onto my lap.

I can feel my face getting warmer by the second.

"S-something happened...after my mom died." I take off my jacket and wrap it around her bare arms.

"It was when my dad was with his second fiancé. He had been drinking a lot. And I heard him y-yelling and Amy was screaming. And then I heard glass shatter...so, I went to go see what was going on...and I knew that I should've stayed in my bedroom..."

I continue to stroke her hair; my eyes wide at all of the possibilities of how her story could end.

I swear if he hurt her.
"I...um...I went downstairs and Amy was on the floor and she had bruises and cuts all over her body. He told me to leave...and I didn't...I couldn't let him hurt her anymore. So, I stood my ground...and he..." She takes a deep breath.

"He just got so angry and I ended up with a broken arm and a nice shiner." She laughs nervously.

Why the hell would he do this to her? His own daughter.

"Catra?" I take a deep breath.

"How long did this go on for?" She looks down at the roof tile.

"Until he left." I feel my heartbeat pick up.

"Adora...I'm so sorry. Why didn't you tell me?" Fresh tears roll down her face. It's quiet for a moment. The only audible sounds are Adora's sobbing and my beating heart.

She sniffles.

"He told me not to...and if I did that...he'd hurt me more. And I was just so scared...I'm sorry." She sits up and I wrap my arms around her.

"Don't be sorry, okay? It's not your fault. You didn't do anything to deserve this." She grows silent.

"You know that right...Adora?" Instead of a response, she hugs me tighter. I decided it best not to say anything more. Instead, I just hold her. It's all I can do, and all that I want to do. Her scent and warmth fill my senses; making everything seem a little bit better.

Okay...the truth? I want to hold this idiot for the rest of my life. I want to wake up beside her every morning; sunlight pouring through the windows, her beautiful dorky smile as I kiss her good morning. Oh, to kiss her again. To feel her soft, warm lips on mine is truly a dream-like experience. I want to stand at an altar with her by my side as we seal our fates; fingers and souls intertwined...finally coming together.

A beautiful wish.

But nothing more.

Because...the truth? Adora doesn't want me...not like I want her.

And I need to learn to shut these feelings off. Though it will be the hardest thing I will ever do.