Prologue

I sat on the green bed, which stood up in the unfamiliar grey room. Everything else blended with the color coffee brown. I placed my phone on the brown mantle and sighed.

I ran a hand through my straight brown hair before sprawling on the bed. My shoulders and body ached from the uncomfortable Airplane seats.

Just a few months ago, I had thought my biggest problem in life was my cheating boyfriend and a broken heart. Nothing could have prepared me for what happened and I couldn't help but blame my father for it.

If only he had been content with what he had. If only he had not fallen for Kelsey's tricks, he and my sister would have been alive.

We wouldn't have had to move to South Korea. We wouldn't have lost everything.

If only he knew.

I stood up from my bed and sighed heavily. I and my luggage exchanged glances and it silently begged me to unbox it.

I waved my hand dismissively and walked downstairs, procrastinating as usual.

The living room was lively due to the three kids playing. After we ran away from Canada, my Mum's sister, Maddie, took us in. Aunt Maddie was also a single mother with three kids; Jasmin and the twins, Trina and Tyron. While Jasmin was fifteen years old, the twins were eleven.

My younger sister Zeisha who was 10 years of age was playing catch with the twins

My younger sister Zeisha who was 10 years of age was playing catch with the twins. A small smile crept up my face at the sight and I ruffled Zeisha's hair.

"Chels!" Maddie called when she spotted me. She was standing by the kitchen counter, chopping some bay leaves.

My sixteen-year-old brother, Gray was standing next to her, leaning on the counter with his elbow as he watched her cook.

"Where is mum?" I asked, my eyes scanning the room.

"She is unpacking," Gray replied.

"Where is Jasmin?" I asked, noticing my fifteen-year-old cousin wasn't in the room either.

"She went to get more soy sauce for the barbecue party tonight," He replied, waggling his eyebrows playfully.

"Why? Is there a party or something?"

Gray groaned and buried his face in his hands "Why do you ask so many questions?"

I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms around my chest defensively. "What barbecue party?" I asked my face firm as I gave him a serious look.

He sighed. "It's an estate tradition since it's a small reserved estate, the residents came up with an idea that a house must throw a small party ever Saturday or Sunday and invite everyone, and today is Aunt's turn," He explained. "It's done to make everyone in the estate familiar with each other," he added, putting quotes around the word familiar.