Chapter 07

Chapter 07:

How did we click just like that?

"Beer, bili kang beer," utos niya sa akin habang nagdi-drive ako.

I checked my wrist watch and saw that it's already ten o'clock. Parang kanina lang, 6:30 p.m. pa lang. Ang bilis naman masiyado ng oras kapag kasama siya.

"Okay, ilan ba?"

She shrugged. "Tig-isang case, Architect."

I laughed along with her. She's just really comfortable to be with, kahit na madalas ay pinagti-trip-an lang namin ang isa't-isa. This is what I've wanted to feel around someone; to be this comfortable and not afraid to show the corny sides of me. I can't believe I delayed this moment just because I was dumped by someone she knew as well.

Ang dami kong sinayang na oras. Nakakapanghinayang.

Huminto ako sa convenience store at bumili ng anim na beer in can, tsaka bumalik sa sasakyan. Nakita ko siya na nagti-text sa cellphone kaya naman mabilis kong iniwas ang paningin ko ro'n at inilagay sa backseat ang pinamili. I saw in my peripheral vision that she looked at me as she kept her phone inside her bag.

"I texted Henz, sinabi kong baka mamaya pa ako uuwi."

Tumingin ako sa kan'ya at ngumiti. "So, where do you want to go?"

She shrugged. "Kahit saan. I just want a fresh air and the taste of beer."

Bahagya akong natawa bago nagsimula ulit na mag-drive. I don't really know some places here but she told me that she wanted some fresh air, so I guess, we'll have to go to the overlooking at Tuba? Hindi ko rin kasi kabisado ang mga pangalan ng lugar dito. Bahala na.

As I drove away, Ruby opened the radio and a familiar song started playing inside the car.

"We couldn't turn around, 'til we were upside down
I'll be the bad guy now, but no, I ain't too proud..."

I smiled a little when I saw her head slightly head banging to the beat of the music.

"I couldn't be there, even when I try
You don't believe it, we do this every time..."

I saw her glanced at me as she continuously taps her hands to her lap to the beat of music.

"Seasons change and our love went cold
Feed the flame 'cause we can't let go
Run away, but we're running in circles
Run away, run away..."

I slightly chuckled when I heard her sang out loud inside the car. Sa huli ay sinabayan ko na rin siya.

"I dare you to do something
I'm waiting on you again
So I don't take the blame
Run away, but we're running in circles
Run away, run away, run away..."

Ilang kanta pa ang sumunod na nag-play at natapos bago kami nakarating sa minsang tinambayan ko kasama ang ilang kaibigan. We stopped at the sidewalk. I heard Ruby chuckled.

"Talagang sa Mount Cabuyao?" she said while removing her seatbelt.

So, Mount Cabuyao pala ang tawag sa lugar na 'to? I suddenly feel ashamed of myself, now that I am going out with a local of Baguio.

She looked at me. "Anyway, it's actually nice here. Tara na!" she chuckled again as she went out of my car.

Napangiti na lang ako habang tinatanggal ang seatbelt. Kinuha ko ang mga binili kong beer sa backseat tsaka sumunod sa kan'ya. Mabilis na humalik sa balat ko ang lamig ng hangin dito, isa sa mga dahilan kung bakit gustong-gusto puntahan ng mga turista ang lugar na 'to.