Chapter 18

"So... they're not coming back anytime soon," I comment a few moments after Jordan and Chase's very quick exit.

"Yeah, no."

I turn to Levi, feeling a little awkward since we are supposed to be more distant friends now, and we're alone together.

"Well, it's a good thing I planned for this," Levi says, smirking a little. I raise an eyebrow at him as I lean against the counter behind me.

"Oh, really? How so?"

He opens a cupboard and pulls out a box of cake mix. I grin.

"So we don't even need flour."

"Yeah, I was going to tell them that, but I didn't really get the chance."

"That's true, they kind of raced out of here as soon as they had an excuse."

"Yeah. I wonder why?"

I laugh, and he grins as he preheats the oven and gets out a cupcake pan.

We spend a few minutes getting out the stuff we'll need (bowl, mixer, paper cupcake liners, and eggs, milk and oil) before starting the recipe.

It probably takes us longer than it should to get the batter made, in the pan, and then into the oven, but we're not in any rush.

By the time we do get the cupcakes in the oven, I'm wishing it took longer. Because now we have to wait for them to be done, and we also have to wait for Jordan and Chase to come back. I pull out my phone and text Jordan that the cupcakes are in the oven so they can come back now if they're not too busy making out somewhere.

Then I put my phone back in my pocket because I feel rude, but I also feel awkward, so I'm considering getting my phone back out, until Levi asks, "So... how was football practice?"

"Pretty good." I search for something else to say. "The team is doing well. Coach Johnson is happy."

He hums a little. "That's always good."

"Yeah. Happy coach, happy... no, that doesn't work."

He laughs a little, and the sound makes my heart flutter. I gaze at him for a moment, feeling lost, because I want him so badly, but I'm just so scared. And I hate feeling scared- it's horrible. All I want is to let myself be happy, because whenever I forget about feeling scared, about my homophobic parents and how awful this whole situation is, I do feel happy. Especially around Levi.

"Hey, by the way... was that your sister at GSA yesterday?" I ask, because it's quiet and awkward and if we're not talking about something then I start thinking about kissing him. 

"Yeah, yeah. With Abigail and Daniella." 

"Yeah. Are they friends?" 

"I think so." 

"Is your sister- wait, no, you can't answer that."

"Correct."

I hesitate. "Levi... how..."

"Do I know I'm gay?"

"No. Do you get asked that a lot?"

"All the time. What were you actually going to ask?"

"How..." I swallow. "How are your... parents?"

He frowns a little, before his eyes widen a little with realization. "They're pretty okay. They're not amazing, like, they wouldn't come to the pride parade with me, but they're accepting enough to at least hide any discomfort whenever they're reminded of my sexuality."