Chapter One: I can't give him false expectations

The music's buzzing in my ears, the smell of alcohol itching in my nostrils. I've never felt at home at high school parties, and never will. Too much people, too much noise. But here I am, at a party. And massively regretting that decision.

"Have you seen Jonah?" I ask my best friend Paige, as my eyes search the room. I wanna get out here as soon as possible, but for that I need to find Jonah. He's the whole reason I'm here.

"No, I haven't, but I did see Daniel going upstairs, so I'm guessing he's somewhere there as well." Paige picks up a red cup filled with some mysterious liquid from a table and chugs it down in one gulp. "Wanna have one as well?"

"No, thanks," I decline her offer.

She shrugs and tries taking another one for herself, but I quickly take it out of her hand. "Don't you think you should slow down a little? I've lost count of the amount of drinks you already had," I laugh.

"But I'm having so much fun!" She throws her arms in the air and jumps around, bumping into people and making them spill their drinks. I bite my cheek to avoid bursting out in laughter. I guess she's really going for it, and I can't blame her. Sometimes you just gotta let everything go and lose control. I wish I could.

"Come on, let's find Jonah and the others. I wanna get out of here." I grab Paige's arm and pull her upstairs with me.

I try squeezing through a group of people as I make my way upstairs, asking myself for the millionth time what i'm doing here. If it wasn't for Jonah, I would still be home, instead of searching this entire house to find him. But no, he wanted to meet up at this party to have some fun. And since I'm always down for a little fun, I had to agree to coming to the party.

"Wilson!" I sigh relieved as I arrive upstairs and see Jonah and his two friends, Daniel and Corbyn, walking towards me with drinks in their hands. "I've been looking everywhere for you!" The tall boy smiled widely.

"Well, here I am." I try smiling back, but get distracted by the countless of people around me. It's making me nervous. Usually I don't mind a crowded party and even enjoy it, but not today.

"We were just about to start a new game of beer pong, wanna join?" Corbyn shouted above the music.

"Of course, I'm always in for a game!" Paige yelled excited. "What about you, Harley?"

"I think I'll pass." I play with the bracelet on my wrist. "Actually, Jonah, I was thinking we could maybe leave? I don't wanna stay here."

"We just got here!" Jonah protested.

I guess I have to take things a little further, and persuade him. I take a step closer, so our bodies are almost touching. I'm not afraid to do anything to get what i want, and right now that's getting out of here.

I playfully smile and put my hand on his cheek. "But I wanna be alone with you. This party is boring."

"In the mood for some fun, Wilson?" Jonah raised an eyebrow, a smile playing on his lips, as he puts his arm around my waist.

"Just to drive around a little or something." I shrug, now playing with his hair.

Jonah smirks and leans in, but gets interrupted by Corbyn whistling. "Doing great there, Jo!" He grabs his phone and starts filming us, like we're some kind of place of interest.

"Put away your phone, Corbyn." Jonah laughed, as Corbyn shrugs and puts away his phone again.

"Already protective of your girl?" Corbyn smirked, as I look at him questioning. Your girl? Jonah and I both know everything between us is far from serious, so I'm definitely not his girl. Or at least, I thought he knew.

Before I can react, Jonah takes my hand. "Come on, let's go then."

"I'm gonna stay for a little longer." Paige shouted, already playing the game with Daniel. "You can go, my brother is taking me home."

"Are you sure?" I ask her. "Call me if you need anything."

"Of course," she yelled, her focus already back on winning.

I chuckle and turn back around to Jonah, who's looking at me with some weird look in his eyes. It's a soft look, full of feelings, and it's making me uncomfortable. I guess he really forgot about us just having fun, and definitely not being something serious.

I guess it's time to end it then. Things can't go too far, i can't give him false expectations. He's getting too close, so I'll do what I always do. Avoiding that, and breaking up with him.