Ch. 9

Merry's PoV:
"You're going to do what?!" I whispered to Julie. Her and Pippin had just given me the news about Aragorn.
"Look, Merry, and you too Pippin, I don't believe I've done enough to prove my worth on this quest, so please let me come with you guys." Julie begged.
"You didn't come with us last time, and you still were overwhelmed, even though you weren't even injured!" I shot.
"Yeah Julie. He has a point." Pippin agreed. It then came to my attention they were holding hands! I mentally slapped myself to bring me back to the situation at hand.

"Look, I know what you're going to say, but I'm sorry. Girls weren't made to fight! Name one time you fought and we're hanging off of death." I said. I have to admit, she was silent for a moment. "None of us want anything to happen to you, Julie but girls aren't meant to fight."

Merry's PoV:
I knew my words were wrong. I had witnessed Èowyn murder the Witch King, but I also was willing to say anything to have Julie change her mind.
"Why can't you guys just let me do this? I want to help, I want to do anything it takes to help Frodo reach his goal." She begged. "Just once Merry! Please..."

The three of us were silent as a soft breeze swept by.
"What has Gandalf or Aragorn said of this?"I asked, worry wounding up inside me.
"They... They don't know." She stuttered. Pippin stared at his hands in embarrassment as I scoffed.
"Why did you come to me then?" I asked.
"Well we want someone on my side just in case." Julie stated.
~~~~~~~
Julie's PoV:
"No." They said in unison.
"But-" I stared, feeling a burning sensation start up inside from the restraint I was facing. "Give me a reason why. Èowyn fought!"
"Yes," Aragorn started, then got down on one knee so we were at eye level. "She came out barely alive, Julie. I managed to heal her in time. They've managed to heal you before:Weathertop, Moria, and yesterday. Listen, here you have people who care about you, Julie, not that I don't. Pippin and Merry have had experience in battle. You don't. You seem to have been raised without that atmosphere Èowyn has people who care about her too, but she was raised with wits made for battle. I'm sorry, but my answer is no."

After he stood, Aragorn and Gandalf walked out of the hall, leaving me alone with Merry and Pippin. Merry put a hand on my shoulder, only to be slipped away, and the two of them walk out as well. I stood in the silence of the vast hall, replaying the conversation in my head. After a while, it was my turn to dispense from the room.

I felt myself desiring to go and just sneak in like Èowyn did, but I also wanted to prove myself and help Frodo in any way I could've. I stopped at the ledge overlooking the white City, spotting a band of soldiers preparing for battle. Amongst them was Aragorn, who stopped to meet my eye. He smiled and waved, myself returning to favour. I looked away to find Merry and Pippin practicing sword fighting down at the entrance of the city. I couldn't just watch everyone prepare and not do anything, so I made up my mind.

My feet then took me to Èowyns room, and I knocked.
"Julie!" What are you doing here?" She asked when she opened the door."

"How were you able to sneak into the battle?" I asked.