ONCE A CRIMINAL...

"Situations like this you hear about over the news or read in novels. Imagine the scandal our family would be facing when this actually comes out." Luciano spoke, "I still cannot believe uncle can be so callous".

The family is still in the study, still at a loss for words and trying to comprehend with what they just heard. Maria is around them preparing refreshments.

"Callous!" Gianna spoke, "all of you seem to forget that uncle Luigi was a mafia leader. You're more worried about the family name and Luigi. What about the girls who's lives was ruined?" Gianna argued.

"We thought uncle retired from that lifestyle".

"We can't say that uncle Luigi is guilty of anything without talking to him first" Luciano counter argued.

"Once a criminal always a criminal" Gianna whispered

"You will have respect for your uncle" Luca demanded.

"I'm going to go check on Mya" Gianna said in an angered tone then exits the room.

MYA'S POV

Gianna goes to the second floor in search for Mya. She enters the master bedroom but was disappointed to find that it was empty. Walking deeper down the hallway she heard noises coming from the guest bedroom she use to stay in. Gianna could hear sobs coming from the door. She knocks and eases her way into the room to find a very distraught Mya. Her heart breaks for Mya. Gianna rushes over to Mya's side and embraces her with a deep hug.

"I'm going to kill that brother of mine" she whispers to herself.

"I told him that I love him" Mya confesses between cries, "but he doesn't love me back", Mya cries as she clings to the only friend she has.

"I'm so sorry Mya", Gianna tries to console her but was overcome with so much pain for her friend that she cried with her.

I can't believe that just happened. Lucio broke up with me. It was so easy for him to listen to his father and dump me. It proves how he truly felt about me. And I had to say 'I love you'. Now I look pathetic. Falling in love with the only man I ever slept with.

"I want to go home" Mya cried.

LUCIO'S POV

Luca excuses himself from the family after receiving a text message on his phone. When he returns the family is met with an unexpected surprise.

"First of all I would like to apologize to my family, you in particular Lucio, but I had no other choice".

"Luigi what you're involved in is inhumane, how could you live with yourself" a very upset Giulia argued.

"Please let me explain" Luigi begged.

Luca walks over to his wife and places his hands on her shoulders in an attempt to console her.

"I made a plea deal with the FBI to help them bring down the largest sex trafficking organization in the world. By doing this I avoid jail time for my previous criminal offences" Luigi explained.

"So why am I involved" Lucio asked,

"I was getting in too deep yet I had to make a personal decision in order to be welcomed into the organization. Lucio I needed someone I knew wouldn't harm any of the girls. I knew I could trust you".

"Why keep all this a secret then? Why not tell me from the very beginning what was really going on?" Lucio questioned.

"I never wanted you to be involved. This should be my burden to bare. I do hope that you can forgive me".

"How do we move forward uncle," Lucio avoids the question of forgiving his uncle, "I don't intend on keeping Mya here forever".

"The feds got everything they need to make a bust, in a couple of days Mya can go home".

"Well I don't know about you guys but I'm proud of you uncle" Luciano interjected, "because of you a lot of girls, including Mya, are getting to go home".

"Well not all son" Luigi said with a smile on his face, "family I have an announcement to make. I too had a girl stay at my home under the pretense of a sex slave".

While talking there was a soft knock at the door. Luigi's personal body guard walks in with a young girl behind him.

"Family this is Makayla, I've decided to adopt her".

In walks a very young girl. Her skin is pale in complexion with freckles all over here nose and cheeks. Her hair is as long as her arms and black as night. The now twenty year old tries to hide herself behind the bodyguard until he turns around to exit the room. All eyes are on Makayla. Luca is shocked at his brother's announcement. Luca was good with his niece and nephews but never seemed to have want any of his own.

"Hello everyone" Makayla spoke softly.

Luca walks next to her and attempts to bring her closer to everyone. Giulia is the first to greet her then Luca.

Lucio was about to text his sister to bring Mya to the study to share with her the good news when they both burst through the door. Makayla turns around and her eyes fall on Mya while Mya stares blankly at her. In no time the both of them are in each other's arms crying for one another. Gianna stood at the corner hugging herself while Giulia wipes away the tears as they fall.

Mya kisses Makayla all over her cheeks like a big sister would. Mya worried for Makayla the most out of the group. Makayla was the baby in the group. She was too young to be a sex slave. Mya would've given her life for Makayla if she had too.

"I thought I would never see you again" Makayla whispered between tears.

"I prayed for you every day" Mya spoke while hugging Makayla.

"Your prayers worked Mya. Luigi bought me and looked after me like a father would for was his own daughter" Makayla said while looking over to Luigi, "he wants to adopt me Mya".