08 ♚ Hope and eternal misery

vote | comment | follow | share

.

.

March 7th

11:35 PM Sulifa, Qa'ihr

Newspapers would have the headlines by morning, photographers and reporters were already at the palace gates barking questions at the police as they went in and out of the grounds behind the police tapes. Rumours were already spreading like wildfires, twelve dead bodies and ten injured by a masked group linked to the Dorijan army.

"How could anyone get past the guards at the gate?"

"Who are the dead?"

"The prime minister and a few council members were arrested, is there a connection?"

"Was this the work of radicals?"

"Princess Cyra is the Queen alive?"

Cyra stood outside trying to address the media giving them the standard responses, but they were distracted each time turning into a frenzy as another body bag was carried out, or as an ambulance full of injured people passed them.

Cyrah was trying to keep her cool for her family but she was shaken. She had volunteered to address the public for her father as he tended to the remaining workers inside. It was a mess inside and the cold air nipped her skin as she tried to stay strong.

"If you could pray for everyone touched by the senseless act of violence tonight, our family would much appreciate it. We hope those behind it will be brought to justice. Goodnight." Cyra turned on her heel and was escorted by a security guard to the steps of the palace, where Amir appeared to wait for her. He approached her, his arms outstretched, enveloped her in a hug and she let the silent tears roll down her face.

"It's alright, everyone's going to be fine."

Amila King had felt that trauma once, the silence of the room as people struggled to find the words that would console you. Ehsan laid next to his mother stroking her hair as Leyla sat on her other side holding her hand. Amila was watching the family interact from the other side of the room, her breathing still slightly laboured.

Hakeem was talking to the doctor next to her. He hadn't left her side since he discovered her and his mother. Amila had saved the queen: she would've been shot had Amila not pushed her to the ground. The shooter had only looked at her for two seconds but it was long enough for Amila to feel the chill of death - she had felt that before.

This time she wasn't being punched repeatedly, watching his angry face in slow motion as he hurled abuse at her broken body no - this time it was a masked figure. His eyes sharp as they stared in confusion at the caramel-skinned woman not for longer than two seconds before he raised his gun and aimed it at her causing Queen Heer to let out a scream of panic.

"Please." Amila's voice came out before she shrieked and shut her eyes at the sound of two gunshots being released.

She felt the warm liquid spray onto her face and she started panicking watching the shooter collapse in front of her. Hakeem stood behind him his arm outstretched heaving as he saw Amila shaking. He rushed to her wiping the blood from her face muttering sweet words to her as she stood frozen in shock, her eyes on the shooter.

Hakeem helped his mother sit up. Her head was bruising from where Amila had pushed her and he was worried she would have a concussion and then he led the two women to the panic room where they waited for half an hour.