Root

Root

J U N E Cortez
December 29, 11:27 pm.
Oedipus HQ.

"Ash, locate the sender of the parcel, now." Twelve said in urgency at kahit gulat pa sa nangyari, kaagad na kumilos si Ash at bumalik sa tapat ng computer niya. I swallowed, my throat feels dry and I can feel my pulse about to explode. Things just won't sink in and we never expected that it will happen before we know it.

Edogawa is now dead. The only person who can bring light to the outspoken truth that Twelve has been seeking. All the thread that led us up to this point just became pointless.

Twelve walked towards the couch while silently pulling his hair in frustration. Nakikita ng lahat na natataranta siya, dismayado at nag-aalala. I am afraid that Twelve might totally lose it this time, knowing that Edogawa is all gone. At kumpara sa amin, Twelve feels a special attachment towards Edogawa as his only parent. He collapsed on the couch, holding his head with both hands while looking down.

"H-Hindi naman siguro totoo 'yan 'di ba?" tanong ni Hiro, "I mean, there's no way. Sabi niya kikitain niya pa si Twelve, hindi siya pwedeng mamatay ng basta-basta."

I sighed and felt a sharp sting in my head, I massaged the bridge of my nose, "We'll investigate, there's no way we can let things be this way. Of course, we can't shrug the idea that it might be faux, but we shouldn't forget that it could be true as well." Sagot ko sa kanya. "Pero kailangan nating unahing alamin kung saan nanggaling ang package na 'yan."

"I'll try to call the courier," Mia said and I nodded, she rushed towards the phone and dialed.

"Could it be that Edogawa managed to send the money without dying?" Lance asked, and he bit his lip in anxiety. "He couldn't die on us. Tangina, 'di siya pwedeng mamatay at iwan tayong ganito. There's too many unsolved mysteries surrounding this case, he can't leave us like this."

Umiling-iling ako, "As much as I would like to entertain that thought, if it's true that the cheque we received is legit, Edogawa must be dead. He was the owner of the insurance policy and Zen was his benefactor. Ibig sabihin, hindi 'yon makukuha ni Zen so long na buhay si Edogawa. Walang makakakuha 'non."

"Pero...," Lance tried to think of an optimistic rebuttal, but when his eyes landed on Twelve's trembling hands. He just shook his head and turned around.

Naihilamos ko ang palad dahil sa mga nangyayari. This news is too heavy for us to receive, especially in this kind of time. We barely even managed to recover from the emotional and physical stress that we just had in our last encounter against Isabella Wysteria. Kung kailan naman namin nararamdaman na mas lumalapit na kami sa katotohanan, saka naman kami nilalayo dito. Mas bumibigat pa ang nararamdaman ko 'pag tumatama ang tingin ko kay Twelve.

He looks terribly hopeless.

"Twelve," Von walked towards him and gave him a pat on the shoulder. "We got your back, 'di ka namin iiwan mag-isa."

"Get your shit together," I said, trying to sound calm and composed, but in reality I'm just as scared as him. "Hahanap tayo ng paraan."

"Tayo, hindi lang ikaw." Lance leveled himself on Twelve's face, "We'll figure this out together."

Twelve silently nodded and casually wiped his eyes, he tried to cover it but I can see the large peals of tears falling out from his eyes. I can't determine any exact emotion in his face, he just looks so torn and tired and scared for his dear life. Dahil alam ko na ang paghahanap niya sa sarili niya, hindi nalang basta-basta existential crisis. It's a life and death situation.

His real identity is the only one who can make Twelve, the rest will break him for sure.

"June," Ash stood up immediately from his desk and pulled out his earphones. "Drive, I'll tell you the directions. Malapit lang siya."