Artemis Crock: Police Negotiator

The team practically jumped out of their skin when Batman's voice came in over the comms "Team, update."

"Uh, can we not right now?" Wally asked. "We're a little busy..."

"With what?" He asked, suspiciously. "Miss Martian is doing the work on this mission, the rest of you are there for backup in an emergency."

"I'm gonna throw you over to Robin, I think he can explain our situation better." Artemis said.

Robin glares at her across the bank's office. "Hey, Bat's, so it turns out we weren't the only ones interested in picking up the virus..."

"There's another theif there?" Batman asked.

"Well, I wouldn't say we're theives, but yes, there is someone else here to steal the vile." Robin admitted. "But! But, we found a way of keeping them here in the building, and we'll be dealing with the Salem county police in a few minutes. don't worry, we've got it handled."

"Alright, report back at the mountain at 17:00." Batman ordered.

"You got it boss." Robin's voice cracked a little as batman signed off the frequency, he let out a heavy sigh.

"That was too close." Artemis sighed. "When is 17:00?"

"Five pm." He replied.

Artemis checked the time. "Okay, we'll have to hustle, but if two of us stand guard, and four of us search people, we could be out my four-thirty-five. That gets us back to the mountain at five-thirty. Not te best, but close as we can get."

"You tell the other's and I'll-" Robin was cut off by the wailing of sirens approaching. "Oh no."

The blonde peaked out the window to see what looked like every police car from four towns around speeding down the street.

"Not good." Artemis reported. "Okay, watched the cameras for our thief, Wally Kaldur and M'gann will search people, Conner will stand guard and I'll..." She swallowed. "Be the negotiator..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artemis strode around the tellers counter and picked up the phone. "Massachusetts state bank, how may I help you?"

"This is agent Charles Diggs of the Federal Bureau of Investigation."

Artemis pressed the phone receiver against her chest. "It's the Feds!"

"What?" Conner asked.

"The FBI! They're on it already!"

"How?"

"I don't know!" 

"Do I talk with them?" Kaldur asked.

Arty shook her head. "They'd never yield to you. no offence." 

"So who does speak for us?"

The blonde grit her teeth and let out a sigh. "I've been around the block. I know the rules of  Cops and Robbers..." She sighed. "If that makes any sense.

"It's all yours." The lead leader confirmed.

Artemis hastily cleared her throat and raised the phone to her ear again. "How can I help ya, Chuck?"

"You sound young, Miss."

"I get that a lot."

"Listen, you don't have to do this. I don't want you to make this mistake."

"No mistake here. Just guns and hostages." She replied. "I have demands, don't worry. I want a..." She looked desperately at Conner, who shrugged back. "A helicopter, untraceable. fourteen thousand dollars in unmarked bills, and ten cans of Arizona iced tea. The green tea flavour!" 

"Okay, we'll see what we can do-"

"You'd better, or I'll play target practice!" Artemis slammed the phone down and nearly fainted along with it. She looked completely ill. She couldn't believe she was doing this...

"Do you know how to fly a helicopter?" Conner asked, stopping by the counter.

"I'm hoping it won't come to that." She explained.

"Clear!" Wally shoved in a man in a tan suit. "He hasn't got what we're looking for. Chris and him are almost done with the other two. 

"Jackson." Artemis corrected. "Dammit, Red, Why aren't you a team player? forgetting everyone!"

"You said everyone's names so fast, I didn't catch any of it!"

"Oh, I moved too fast for you?" Artemis scoffed. "Just- put him back with the others. and grab the teller. Oh, and tell Pixie to hurry with he footage! He's moving at armature pace, I did NOT hire an armature!" She snapped. "Not MOVE, Red!"

"Absolute power corrupts." Wally grumbled, dragging the male bank teller from the room. "Hey Pixie boots!" He shouted as he passed he absent manager's office. "Blondie says move it!"

"I'm trying!" Robin shouted back.

Wally got to the hallway by the washrooms where M'gann and Kaldur were finishing their searches of an elderly female client and the greasy security guard.