Deep End

"What's that?" Wally asked.

"The phone was tracking something." Dick sat carefully on the floor, opening the bag. He carefully removed its contents: a fair sized hydroge cooler. "Someone knows what they're doing..."

"Is it-"

"No." Dick sighed. "It's empty. Whoever this belongs to, they didn't have a chance to slip the vile inside."

"So our thief isn't some petty criminal." Wally said. 

Dick nodded. "So we gotta find out who it is." Dick said. "Work on the machine."

"I'm on it!" Wally sighed. "You do the screen while I work the optics."

"Got it- wait, hold on." Dick put his hand to his buzzing earpiece. "Artemis?"

"Robin."

 Dick groaned exhaustedly. "Please, not now. We're really busy right now, I-"

"Robin, what are you doing." Batman grunted. "Don't lie, its made the news."

"Oh no." Robin muttered. "Listen, I'm sorry, I don't know how it happened! But we've got a guy here with a bullet through his shoulder, so we're a little busy!" He listened to his comm for a second. "NO! We didn't shoot him! We were releasing a hostage and the police opened fire! ...yeah, KF and Superboy patched him up."

"You're releasing hostages?" Bruce asked.

"She was pregnant. Once we've searched them fully, we'll let a lot out at once." He muttered, leaning against the wall "Me and KF are making a- It'll take too long to explain! but we're solving this."

"I want the team back with no casualties." Bats warned.

"We're trying!" Dick grunted. "We're really trying, okay!"

"Most of the League is on hand in the case of a shootout." Bruce said. "When you find the thief, let me know immediately."

"I will!"

"And Robin, When you get back at the mountain. We need to talk to your team."

"Got it." Dick croaked, hanging up.

"Who was that?" Wally asked, still preoccupied with stopping the bleeding.

"Big bad Bat." Dick replied hollowly. "We made the news."

"Oh no." Wally groaned.

"...yeah." Dick agreed. "But focus on the matter at hand!"

"Right," The redhead nodded. He tossed Robin a pair of tweezers. "I want you engineering!"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"None of you better have moved an inch!" Artemis sped into the lobby, drawing her gun. She was close lined on her way in. Two of the hostages, men, one younger, one middle aged jumped to hold her down. "DAMMIT- I-" She couldn't remember the names she gave everyone. "CON!"

Conner was the only other teenager with a gun.

Kaldur jumped to wrestle the men off her. He didn't want to use his water barers unless he needed to. another hostage, a woman jumped up to join the men, she fought viciously. Artemis scrambled for the gun, but one of the men had already made a grab for it. They tugged back and forth.

"CON!" She screamed again, kicking at the man. Another older man joined the wrestle. Shoot. They were outnumbered, there was no way that she and Kaldur could get out without outing themselves as heroes or killing a hostage.

There were thunderous footsteps as Conner rounded the corner, he shoved a few off the hostages off his teammates. "OFF!" He barked, the same as if Wolf was chewing up a car's bumper.

"THE GUN YOU IDIOT!"

Conner struggled to yank the gun from his back pocket. "DROP IT!" He waved the gun around at the crowd, three of them jumped back. "I said: DROP IT!" The man Artemis was wrestling let go of the gun.

"Thanks." Artemis pushed herself off the linoleum. "WHAT DID WE SAY, PEOPLE? NO HEROES!" She snarled, waving the gun around at them. The safety was on, but they didn't need to know that. "Con. Update."

 "I got on the extreme cooling." He replied. "I was on my way to help the other two." He tapped his comm.  "Update."

Robin's voice came buzzing over the comm. "I'm working! Someone in this bank is a professional, they packed a cooler with a homing beacon." 

"Supes." Wally interrupted before they could ask any questions. "Ever made a UV darkroom?"

"I can learn." The kryptonian replied.

"Robin? is the scanner coming along?

 "This thing doesn't have a fraction of the juice of my mainframe back home. I need ten more minutes." 

Artemis checked her watch. "Hurry, We might not have ten minutes to spare."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Conner taped cardstock folders over the bathroom windows, blocking out the sunlight. Wally strode in, arms full. 

"Check out this bad boy It's a UV bill scanner. Once all the natural UV light is blocked out, We'll be able to bring people in and scan them." Wally whipped out a small electronic device, he hit the switched and watched the thing light up"AND Bingo was his Name-o!" The redhead grinned at his handiwork.

"Slow down the scan." Conner told him. "That is too fast, it will reflect off the membrane of the eye."

"Well, never say that to me again." Wally said.

Dick shouldered into the room. "Moniter screen, let me hook it up to the device."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Artemis picked up the phone. "Look, we're working on it. We're prepared to let five more hostages out." She bluffed.

"We know what your team looks like." Diggs told her. "You're all young. Mistakes like these can ruine the lives of people your age."

"Oh yeah, because there are so many Teenage bank robbers in Salem county." She replied.

"Look, if you back out now we can get you a more leinient sentace. Release the hostages and surrender, and we'll try to see that you aren't tried as adults."

"We'll let hostages out in a few minutes. No bullets." She hung up, sighing. "Guys." She reached up, tapping her comm. Static. They'd jammed communications. "Shoot... " 
Artemis felt her phone buzz. She figured that the others had realized the comms were cut, and picked up. "I know. They jammed the comms."

"Artemis?"

"...Yes?" She answered cautiously. 

"Artemis are you-" Her mentor stopped. "How's the mission doing?"

"Oh fine, Fine." she said. "Actually, smoother than expected. I'm actually chatting with the FBI right now."

"Artemis." Oliver said sharply. "Are you holding up a bank?"

"...no?" She replied. How did he know already?

"Artemis!" He exclaimed."How did this happen? Is anyone hurrt?"

"We've got it under control." She assured. "Just a hiccup, it's  nothing."

"Nothing that's gotten you in the national news? They're saying that someone got shot!"

"A hostage. We stopped the bleeding so it's fine for now." She exclaimed. She was stressed enough without all this. 

"Artemis, your mother is going to skin me if you get arrested for grand larceny!"

Artemis blinked hard. "Manage." She hung up.