All (Not) According to Plan

There was a weird smell in the air, like when you're living with someone who has the flu. Like a heavy cloud of congestion that festers in the air around you. 

This was all Artemis knew as she stood with her eyes screwed shut. She wasn't completely clear on what was happening, she didn't even know if she was alive, all she knew was that she would kill for a breath of fresh air.

At fist it felt like she couldn't open her eyes, like they were being held shut involuntarily. Then, she could open them, but didn't want to. What would she see anyways? She'd rather die with her eyes glued shut then open them and watch her friends doing the same.

It was very quiet. The only sound was a tickling analog clock, mesuring seconds like a metronome. It was the only way she knew she wasn't dead yet.

Carefully, she slid her eyes open, just enough to peak through her eyelashes.She could see M'gann and Kaldur in front of her, also frozen in place. 

She rolled her eyes to the side. Robin was still stuck where he was before, when fear first caused him to seize. Conner was barely in her periferal, hazy and hard to define. She couldn't see Wally through M'gann and Kaldur.

Artemis opened her eyes wider. They weren't dead. 

Her face relaxed and she straightened up. It must have been a minute or so, why weren't they dead.

"M'gann?" She whispered. It had been a while since she adressed her teammate by her real name. "M'gann?" 

The Martian let one of her eyes shivver open. They looked dead into each other's eyes, and lowered their vision to the Kettle, still levitating an inch from Kaldur's outstretched hand

Yellow overhead lighting glowed off the frosty cap atop the ice.

Both girls looked up, this time, locking eyes with Kaldur as well.

"We're alive." M'gann realized.

Artemis scoffed out a breath. "WE'RE ALIVE!" She agreed, a grin spreading across her lips. "GUYS! WE'RE ALIVE!"

Dropping the kettle, M'gann shot across, crushing her friend in a hug. Behind them, they heard Wally open his eyes aswell. "What-" He shot forwards and grabbed the kettle from Kaldur, who was picking it cautiously off the floor. "YES! OH my... ARTEMIS!"

The girls let out slight grunts as the redhead hit their hug like a bullet, squeezing the breath out of them further.

"Nice." Dick said, returning to his non-locked up state. "Artemis, you stopped it!"

The blonde didn't speak, being choked by tears, her friends, and the thick air around them. "You're a genius!" M'gann squealed.

"NO! Superboy is!" unable to push her friends off her, the blonde dropped to the ground and crawled out of their aggressive hug. She waved her arms at Conner. "Who Suggested Confining it in Something Airtight??"

"That was your plan?" Wally asked. "I thought you were just an idiot who didn't know the difference between hydrogen freezing and freezing something in tap water!"

"Thanks, Wally." She scoffed. "And even if that had been my plan, I didn't see you doing anything except shouting and poking holes in everyone's ideas!"

Dick grabbed his discarded belt and clipped it on under his hoodie, even though it was mostly empty now. "Well, You used literally everything I have except a few batarangs... If we want to keep that thing frozen on the trip back to the mountain, we should get on that."

"I think we have other concerns." Kaldur commented.

"What do you-" Wally started.

"Robbing a bank." Conner cut him off.

"Oh." The redhead broke away from his accidentally long embrace with M'gann. "Yeah."

Dick groaned. "They probably already called to negotiate a surrender."

"And they'll come in the roof any minute, yeah yeah." Artemis said. 

"I can camoflague, but I don't know how to get the rest of you up to the bioship without being seen." M'gann replied quietly.

"Artemis, did you plan for this?" Kaldur asked.

"Why would she have planned for this-"

"YES!" The blonde perked up as her teamleader reminded her. "Ms. M! remember when I asked about the Bioship's endurence?"

M'gann shrugged. "I was saying, It can maybe handle one of these... but then the camoflague will be weak."

"So long as it gets us out!" Artemis sighed. "M'gann, bring 'er in!"

The martian screwed her eyes shut. The room was quiet for a few seconds, Conner, Wally, and Dick watched her hesitantly, confused.

With a deafaning bump, and wince-worthy grinding, the left wall seemed to pop; crushing inwards on them. Conner grabbed Dick's arm and yanked him out of the way as the Bioship settled, and a door grew open for them.

"Everybody inside!" Kaldur called. "We can't risk anything happening to this." The team beganhurridly shoving through the door.

"Wait!" Wally called.

"KID! ON!" 

"I know, I know, just gimme one-" He was gone before finishing the sentance. 

He appeared seconds later, dragging several objects in after him. "What was-" M'gann was cut off by a gun shot. and then another. Suddenly, the air was filled with nothing except the rining of rapidfire. 

The ship's door melted shut, and before Wally could grab a seat, they pulled off.

Soon, they reached a steady cruising altitude, and Wally, who'd beet thrown across the ship, could dizzily stagger to his feet. 

"What did you get?" Dick asked.

"Homemade retna scanner." Wally held it up.

"They saw us." Artemis spat. "The bioship took damage, and all for what?a dumb souvenier?"

"It's not dumb! It's one of thecoolest things Robin's ever built!" Wally justified. "Besides, I had to grab these hyro-freezers or the FBI is going to get homeland security involved."

"Good work, Kid." Kaldur agreed, but before he could tell Wally it was stupid and recklass anyways, the redhead continued. 

"But hey, was I the one who let the baddies take her gun? No!"

Artemis scoffed. "Do you think I'm completely stupid?" She dug her hand in her jeans' pocket, pulling out a fist full of something. "I took the bullets out!"

The ship went VERY quiet.

"So, we weren't in any danger." Robin said.

"We were in danger, they were the only ones who knew where the sample was!"

"But they couldn't have shot us?" Kaldur said, coughing a little.

"THAT Was your worry?" Artemis asked incredulesly. "We have a bulletproof guy, and one who can run faster than a bullet!" She pointed out. "Besides, Conner had another Gun!"

Conner looked at her weird. "I left it in the dark room."

"YOU DIDN"T HAVE THE GUN?" Artemis gaped. "That was my trump card! We could have died!"

"DUH!" Wally shouted, throwing himself back in his seat.