Further Complications / The Hostage Exchange

In the lobby, Artemis was pacing uncomfortably by the phone, waiting for the cops to dial back. As soon as the phone rang, she snatched it up. "What have you got?" She ordered, putting on her scary voice again. 

"The Helicopter you asked for, it's on its way." Diggs reported

"Oh really?" Artemis leaned on her forearms on the counter. "So you contacted your boss, who told Homeland security, who commandeered a chopper, and in turn cleared a flight path with the FAA?" She listened to the silence on the other end of the line. "I'm not a moron, Chuck."

"We're trying to fill your demands, but understand, it is difficult to get a helicopter."

"Well get one! Or they'll be one more angel in heaven, and one less bullet in my gun!"  She threatened.

"Listen,  we're trying to fulfill your demands, but we need proof that the hostages are safe." Agent Diggs was saying. "Send some hostages out and I'll try to make it happen."

 Artemis bit her lip, thinking. They had a couple hostages cleared, but she didn't want to bet on it. Not to mention the whole helicopter thing was just to buy time... "I'll think about it!" She hung up.

"This one's good." Wally reported, returning with the male bank teller. "Who still needs to be  searched?"

"The creepy guard for one." Artemis muttered, a little distracted.

"Creepy?" The creepy guard asked as Wally hauled him up. "I'm not- Danial, What'd they do in there?" He grabbed the male teller's wrist as then passed each other, as if trying to ancor himself.

"They're searching us!" The male teller, Danial, reported.

"Alright, cut the chatting!" Artemis shouted, waving the gun around a little. The safety was on.

Wally dragged the creepy guard away, just as M'gann sped in around the corner. 'uh, team...?'

'I know!' Artemis vented. 'just give me a second to think of something!'

'I told the cops that we needed a helicopter, just to buy us time, but now they're  demanding that we release a hostage!'

'but we aren't done searching!' Wally exclaimed.

'I know THAT!'

'Robin, update.'

'I'm trying to access some of my files, but this desktop is from the stone age!'  he reported tiredly.

'That's a waste of time!' Artemis spat. Kid? you're  supposed to be the science one?'

Wally started a little from being called on. 'Well the vile is supposed to be kept in a cool, lead box.'  He started.'That's because the thin Beryllium sealing will begin to weaken from heat.' 

'So, it's going to slowly melt open and release the virus.' M'gann asked.

'Maybe not. If it's just in someone's pocket, between thirty to a-hundred-forty minutes, the radiation in the Beryllium will begin to give the thief  faint effects of early concentrated radiation poisoning.'  The redhead explained.

'So?'

'That's easy! We just need a retnal scanner. Radiation poisoning means lazy eyes means, we have our thief.' Wally suggested. 'Right, Rob?'

In the office, Robin threw up his arms at the desk. 'Why would I bring a Retnal scanner to a simple sample pickup?'

'Dude, I've seen you make a Harmonica out of a soda can!'

'So you want me to build a retnal scanner out of office supplies?' Robin ordered.

'Can you?' Artemis asked. 

For a few seconds, Dick didn't respond. '...I need time.'

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Clear." M'gann reported, walking the elderly woman back to the group. "Who haven't we searched?"

"Uh, Her." Conner pointed to the female bank teller who had helped her earlier.

"Alright. Come with me. Please." M'gann helped the teller to her feet. "Dolorous."

"Please, Please don't hurt me." She stammered.

"We don't want to hurt anyone, Dolly." Artemis called. "Just cooperate and you'll be fine."

"But, please." The woman insisted as M'gann tugged her towards the woman's washroom to seach her. "You don't understand!"

"It's alright ma'am, I'm not going to hurt you, I'm just searching you." M'gann assured. She stood the woman in the doorway of the woman's room for an external frisk.

"No, please be gentle, I'm pregnant!" She begged.

That gave M'gann pause. "Okay, I'll be careful." She reached out and gently patted the woman down. Yes, she did have a baby bump forming, she was maybe six or seven months along? "I don't want to make you uncomfortable, but I have to make sure you aren't stealing anything?"

"Why would I be stealing something? I work here."

"I can't explain to you. But do you mind coming into the washroom for a thorough search? I won't touch you, I just need to search.

"Alright, just don't hurt my baby, please." She let M'gann walk her into the restroom, closing the door.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Problem!" M'gann ran to her fellow female teammate.

"Yeah. A lot of them!"

"No!" M'gann said. "Dolores, The Teller, she's pregnant!"

Artemis' face went pale. They had a pregnant hostage. Now that she knew, it was obvious. "Well- What do we do?"

"We've already shot off bullets." Artemis said. She looked at Kaldur across the lobby, who was listening in. 

"We need to release her." Kaldur said. 

"No! If we release her, our cover is blown. They'll know how many of us there are, and our less than bloodthirsty attitude." The blonde reasoned. "Not to mention, without The retna scanner, done, there's no way to know. and once they hear that we're talking through mics, they'll jam the comms."

Kaldur stopped her. "This toxin is deadly, but if I can save another life today, I will."

Artemis nodded. "It will buy us a little time. M'g-uh, Christine, prepare Dolly for exiting.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Diggs." Artemis barked into the phone. "We're letting a hostage out for you." There was a stirring amongst the hostages on the ground. "Just one. So don't shoot! She's pregnant." she nodded to Conner, who had his hand on the door. M'gann walked Dolores to the door, in her nerve, the Pregnant teller stumbled a little, steadying herself on the counter. Artemis couldn't help but feel bad for her. He shook out her head, not the time. "Go."

Conner opened the door a few feet and they let her run through. But they were two distracted by Dolly, no one was watching the other hostages. in an instant, a young man in a jean jacket had made a wild dash for the door.

"No!" Artemis shouted. "Guys!"

Conner grabbed the man, but before he could kick the door closed, they heard the gunsots ring out.